Newly Diagnosed at 27!

16 years 4 months ago #12133 by Joey
Replied by Joey on topic Newly Diagnosed at 27!
Landon, I have also changed my diet and with the antibiotics etc I have been taking which cause a loss of appetite I have lost about 10 pounds. Worrying I am sure has contributed to this also. Loosing the 10 was not a bad idea. I also dealt with some constipation issues. I saw one of the best doctors at Hopkins and asked him about suggestions as what not to eat. He simply stated eat plenty of vegs and fruit. When I asked him about drinking one glass of red wine a day, he joked and said have two. I know how you feel about your daughter etc. I am sure the doctor told you that you will see all these things happen correct?

Joe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 4 months ago #12132 by Landon
Replied by Landon on topic Newly Diagnosed at 27!

Joe,

My urologist had nothing but VERY POSITIVE things to say about my results, however at this point I still think about being around to see my daughter go off to college, get married, etc. etc! I did only have one tumor that was removed, and I would have to look at the pathology report to tell you exactly what size. It wasn't huge.

My other concerns are, diet, alchohol consumption, etc? I have changed several things about how I live, and diet is one of them. I still have the occasional coctail or beer, but don't really know what to think about this. Anybody?

It does seem that this will be something that I deal with for the rest of my life, and I will have to adjust to living with this in the back of my mind. I am crossing my fingers for January 10th, my next cystoscope!

16 years 4 months ago #12131 by Joey
Did the doctor also provide you with encouraging comments, that with your pathology report the chance of progression etc are very small? Someone on one of the sites stated that no one dies from non invasive, low grade, superficial cancer. It has been about a month since my surgery and I still think of cancer everday, however not as long as I used too. A doctor at hopkins told me that you need to place this in a box. Also think of this as a wart. How big was your tumor and was there only one?

Joe

16 years 4 months ago #12129 by Landon
Replied by Landon on topic Newly Diagnosed at 27!
Joe,

Thanks for the encouraging words!

I understand that I got the best diagnosis as possible, and am greatful that it came back the way it did.

I stuggle with the fact that I ever had it, and that I will have to deal with the question of it coming back from here on out! Being that I am so young, it was a total shocker. Now whenever something happens, I automatically assume that it must be cancer.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with the potential stress of this situation?

16 years 4 months ago #12128 by Joe M
Replied by Joe M on topic Newly Diagnosed at 27!
Get ready for treatment.

This is a great place to learn about the various ones offered, and where you an prepare a series of questions for your doctors.
Never be afraid to ask, anything in here.
There is never a bad question.
A bad question is one gone unanswered.

You can never get too much information about your cancer and share information with your wife, family and friends.
A team effort helps everyone involved.
Fear of the unknown doesn't last long when everyone is one the same page.

Wear your page proudly, and offer everyone a pen!

Congrats on the little girl.
You now have to beat the cancer, and make sure you can intimidate and terrorize all her boyfriends in the future. like every good father does with a daughter.javascript:void(0);

Good Luck and welcome.

16 years 4 months ago #12127 by Joey
Landon, I had the same dx on 12/7/07 and like you was shocked that I had bladder cancer. I never smoked either. My tumor was 4 cm so my dr wants me to start BCG treatments in one month. If my tumor was smaller, I would not have had to start the treatments so early. As you know the path report is the best that could be hoped for. The concern is the reoccurrences and the small percentage that the new tumor could progress. As long as you stay true to your followups, you should be OK.

Joe

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne