Newly Diagnosed at 27!

16 years 3 months ago #12205 by Landon
Replied by Landon on topic Newly Diagnosed at 27!
Greg and Lauren,

Thanks for the kind words. I am set up to have 3 month cystos for the first year, and hope that this will get easier with time! Lately, because of my cysto next week, I have been finding myself stressing about it more. I know that this will be something that I will deal with for the rest of my life, and in time it will get easier.

I know, and am confident that this is just going to be a nuisance in my life, but there is always that question in the back of everyone's mind!

Good luck with your upcoming cysto Lauren.

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 3 months ago #12202 by lhpdogs
Replied by lhpdogs on topic Newly Diagnosed at 27!
Landon,

I have my third cysto in a month; I was diagnosed TaG1 (very low grade non-invasive) in Dec. 05, when I was 47 years old. I don't even THINK about cancer but once every six months ( I have to pee in a cup for a cytology every six months, but only need a cysto once a year, according to my urologist)... but the trick is to keep TOO busy to sit and think about a cancer that was cut out of you and long gone.... and if it grows back, it's a nuisance, and that's all. This is what I tell myself. And it works.

Now if they find something again on a cysto, I'm sure I'll have to spend a bit more time convincing myself again :-\.. but I will. Because I am living, not dying, right?

One day at a time, and love the life you're in.

Lauren

TaG1 12/05
3 recurrences
BCG started 9/09

16 years 3 months ago #12181 by shaz
Replied by shaz on topic Newly Diagnosed at 27!
I was nervous too at my first follow-up cysto. I convinced myself that I would probably have two new small tumors. Every weird bladder feeling convinced me that a new tumor was forming. Turned out I was wrong. No new tumors. I will have my next cysto in a month. No need to worry.

Gregg

16 years 3 months ago #12175 by Landon
Replied by Landon on topic Newly Diagnosed at 27!
Thank you guys so much for the words of encouragement! You guys have no idea how determined I am to beat this thing, and with this forum, I can at least speak my mind on the subject.

I try to stay busy, and keep my mind off of this dx, however with my cysto scheduled for the 10th, I am beginning to get a little nervous again.

16 years 3 months ago #12172 by shaz
Replied by shaz on topic Newly Diagnosed at 27!
Hi Landon,

I was diagnosed with "Low Grade, Non-invasive Transitional Cell Carcinoma of the Bladder" in July of 07. I am 45 ( 2 kids 9 and 12) and my story is very similar to yours. I never smoked and live a pretty healthy lifestyle. The initial 1cm tumor was removed in August. I received a 30 min instillation of mitomycin at the time of surgery. First follow-up cysto in Nov 07 was clear. I still think about the diagnosis daily but I now realize that things could be much worse. I have moved beyond the initial shock but the thought is always in the back of my mind. Not many folks understand this disease. It's certainly not a "sexy" cancer! People think you are fine because you typically do not miss much work and look ok. That's why this forum is so helpful. Lots of good advice and support. That being said, I have also learned not to spend too much time surfing the net for info. Too much information makes me nervous and puts me in a bad mood. Better to spend time with family. Good luck.

Gregg

16 years 4 months ago #12149 by wsilberstein
Replied by wsilberstein on topic Newly Diagnosed at 27!
Dear Landon,
Recurrence is the nuisance and progression is the worry but it is not a given. My initial diagnosis was high grade Ta G3 plus CIS. I have not had a recurrence in 7 years. I wish it was so for all my fellow travelers, but I'm here to tell you it does happen, and I wish it for you.

-Warren
TaG3 + CIS 12/2000. TURB + Mitomycin C (No BCG)
Urethral stricture, urethroplasty 10/2009
CIS 11/2010 treated with BCG. CIS 5/2012 treated with BCG/interferon
T1G3 1/2013. Radical Cystectomy 3/5/2013, No invasive cancer. CIS in right ureter.
Incontinent. AUS implant 2/2014. AUS explant 5/2014
Pediatrician

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne