Newly Diagnosed at 27!

16 years 3 months ago #12658 by annec
Replied by annec on topic Newly Diagnosed at 27!
Hi Landon & GMan

Tough times for you both. It's really hard to come to terms with this, especially at your age.
After 5 years of treatment for TaGd1, I am now 2 1/2 years clear. On first diagnosis, it hit me like a sledgehammer. Cancer is a big scary word. And the treatment was worse than the disease. You don't know what's going to happen next and that's distressing- suddenly you are not in control. It's easy for me to say, in my position, but that treatment is worth it- even though it makes you feel grim- and you are being cared for. From an initial large one, mine seeded into 7 new ones, then 2, then 2 more etc. but now I have none. You have to keep on top of it for yourself, too, and be responsible for making sure everything happens when it should- I had to chase my uro several times.

Some food for thought
- as someone else said, no-one ever died from non-invasive superficial bladder TCC
- 7% of cases of non-invasive superficial TCC, which you and me have/ had, change into invasive
- my Uro calls it nuisance cancer
- it's also referred to as bladder warts- never had a wart anywhere else, but could you compare it to a wart on your finger?
- they have to make sure that they keep you clean, although that's a nuisance, just in case you are in the 7%
- my doctor told me how lucky I was to have this- if you are going to get cancer non-invasive superficial bladder TCC at Ta Gd1 is the best you can get- for 93% of people, it doesn't change, it's enclosed in your bladder, it's easy to get out and the chemo is intravesical, not systematic where it's put into your bloodstream. Your hair may thin, but you won't lose it!
- life is for the living, so live it to the full. Research this thoroughly, so you know what's going on, look after yourself properly, and then try and forget it until your next treatment/ cysto- it really doesn't deserve to take over your life

As I said, easy for me to say, and I really suffered for the first year or so, but then the light dawned, I realised it was just a blooming nuisance, celebrated when it was clear, and gritted my teeth for the treatment when it wasn't, made some changes to my lifestyle and began to appreciate my life, my family and friends more than I ever did before.

You have to get there yourself- no-one can tell you this and you just accept it, and you will do this in your own time. It's scary and you worry- you'd be weird if you didn't, but don't let it take over the real you, or prevent you from doing what you want to do, just in case. Be proud of yourself for managing this difficult time. People say to me- Anne, I don't know how you say all this pragmatically, I don't know how you cope, but you will, and you do, just like we all do when a curve ball is thrown at us.

If you want a reality check, check out the Invasive area of this site. These are the people I admire- we've got it easy by comparison! You may not have to deal with this for the rest of your lives. People who have recovered from this and have 10 years clear are not on this website, but they are out there!

I hope that everything goes well for you, GMan and I'll be thinking of you, as I'm sure we all will be. Landon, I didn't catch what happened at your cysto?

Sorry if I've gone on a bit- just my thoughts- hope it helps!

Anne

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 3 months ago #12647 by Landon
Replied by Landon on topic Newly Diagnosed at 27!
Gman1979,

I feel your pain, as do many others out here!

I will for sure keep you in my prayers, and hope that everything goes well. Stay strong and know that we can all make it through this.

27 and 28 is very young for this, but we have to learn to deal with this nuisance for the rest of our LONG lives.

16 years 3 months ago #12629 by Gman1979
Replied by Gman1979 on topic Newly Diagnosed at 27!
Well, Landon, I guess I should chime in with my story. Some may remember it, but I don't post regularly (even though I regularly read the threads). I was diagnosed in Jan 07 with a rather large TaG1 tumor at the age of 28 (a year later than you). I smoked off and on since 18 (a pack would last me about a month, college and law school kept the habit going. I also used chewing tobacco but not a whole lot). Anyway, I noticed the passage of clots and blood, one clot was so bad it blocked my urethra. Anyway, TURBT 1 removed the rather large tumor. My doctor decided that due to the non-invasive nature and low grade of the tumor, we would not use any further treatment. This was something I think he regretted later. Cysto in six months.

While getting an ultrasound of my right kidney (the location of the tumor blocked my left uterer so I had to get a nephrostomy tube, stent, and all of that, so I have been having pain problems mostly from the muscular intrusion of the nephrostomy), my brother (a sonographer) decided to look at my bladder. Well, he saw something, so my cysto was moved up a few weeks (June). TURBT 2, much smaller (but more than one) which could be contributed to "seeding" (my doctor never did the mitomycin instillation after TURBT).

Six weeks later, I begin BCG treatments (6 weeks, 1 per week). The treatments were not bad (I did get flu like symptoms the weekend of the treatments (I had them on Fridays) but I did pass some tissue and blood, which is normal during these treatments. My uro said that these should be considered positive signs b/c it shows that the treatments are working (Dr. Lamm agrees with this also).

TOMORROW I get my cysto to see if the BCG worked. I am so, so, so, so scared. Nervous is not the word. I have been keeping busy with school and that has kept my mind off of things, but I'm getting too close to crunch time to occupy my mind anymore.

The waits and anticipation is hell, but we have each other who share our own feelings. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers if you do the same for me. I do the same for everyone who posts on the board.

"I am third."
-Gayle Sayers

16 years 3 months ago #12422 by Joey
Replied by Joey on topic Newly Diagnosed at 27!
Landon, good luck. I am sure everything will be fine.

Joe

16 years 3 months ago #12421 by Landon
Replied by Landon on topic Newly Diagnosed at 27!
Well, tommorrow is the big day!

I have my first cystoscope since the Cysto/Turb in October. I have had several check ups since October and no signs of bleeding, etc. Needless to say, we are all thinking positive, however, we know that there is a good chance of recurrance. Keep me in your prayers tomorrow as I go through the scope.

Thanks everyone for all your support and kind words!

Landon

16 years 3 months ago #12358 by michstate89
Replied by michstate89 on topic Newly Diagnosed at 27!
Joe,

I focused on the burning and tissue issue, but did not mention that my bladder seems to spasm for a few hours also. Maybe others have had similar responses. Another question I am going to ask is about a diluted dose, which seems to be in Dr. Lamm's protocol.

Ross

Ross M
TaG1 March 06
Recurrence Jan 07
BCG Maintenance after 6 week treatment

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne