Newly Diagnosed at 27!

16 years 2 months ago #13602 by Joey
Replied by Joey on topic Newly Diagnosed at 27!
Ben that is very encouraging. I recently had a 4cm low grade non invasive papillary tumor removed on December 4. Because of the size I have had so far 2 BCG treatments ( No side effects yet). What was the size of your original tumor.

Joe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 2 months ago #13577 by bzy3mv
Replied by bzy3mv on topic Newly Diagnosed at 27!
Landon,
Just want to give you some comfort by telling you my story with Bladder cancer.
I was diagnosed March 2002, few months after I started my new job and did not have time to buy a life insurance through my employer. I was blaming myself for not having life insurance and worrying about my family after I am gone.
The tumor was low grade(4) and non-invasive. The tumor was removed and I had to do Cysto every 3 months for the 1st two years, every six month on 3rd year and once every year after that. I submitted an application for life insurance with the reports on my bladder cancer diagnosis and prognosis. I was accepted as if I did not have any cancer and with regular/normal premium. That means that it is not a fatal disease and I am not a big risk to the insurance company. That was a big relief to me and my family.
During the last 6 years I did not have any diet what so ever. I smoke two packs a day for the last 40 years and drink 2-3 shots of Vodka every day.
All cysto results were clean till the last one at the end of the 6th year. The doctor found a very small growth and removed it all when he was taking a biopsy in clinic and sent it to the lab. The lab report indicates that it was Non-invasive papillary urothelial carcinoma. I have been told that I am not at risk and to be in the safe side my doctor recommended having a Cysto every 6 moths.
I do not think and worry about it at all. The only thing that reminds me of it is the reminder on my calendar for Cysto. I live my life as if I never had this experience and enjoy my life with 2 packs of cigarettes and 2-3 shots of Vodka every day.
I will be 60 years old in March and I feel I have a clean bill of health. I think you would better have same attitude and enjoy your life, family, and specially your kids.
regards,
Ben.

16 years 2 months ago #13488 by Landon
Replied by Landon on topic Newly Diagnosed at 27!
Rollin,

I think that we all have to learn how to deal with this disease, and for quite some time I was just like you. Even still, if I find myself thinking about it, then I automatically think the worst!

My Urologist is very, very positive, and feels as if we can stay on top of this thing and win! He even seems like we may never deal with it again. I know that the statistics show otherwise, but we try to stay as positive as possible. I just had my first 3 month cysto, and everything was clear! My cytology (spelling) report also showed no signs of "floating" cancer cells in the urine during the cystoscope. I am relieved to be three months cancer free!

Keep your head up, and realize that we now have to take everything one day at a time. Shocked as we all were when we were diagnosed, we must all keep a positive attitude. I see others, and have others in my life with other cancers and concerns, and some of these guys have way worse prognosis. I know that things could always be much harder for me and my family. Really, I am blessed.

16 years 2 months ago #13422 by Rollin
Replied by Rollin on topic Newly Diagnosed at 27!
Thank you for the encouragement.
I was given the word I have BC in Oct.
The tumor was removed - it was Low grade Papillary - Non-invasive- no muscle invasion -
Per my DR. - there is a good chance- that like a wart - it will return.
He stated it will be very small & he would just zap it out.
Needless to say, I go back for my first cysto & the end of this month & I am a nervous
nut.
Rollin

16 years 2 months ago #13387 by Rollin
Replied by Rollin on topic Newly Diagnosed at 27!

I am in the exact boat as you.
In Oct - I got the same Pathology as you - no medication.

I go back for a scope on 2/25/08 & I am petrified

Rollin

16 years 3 months ago #12663 by PGS
Replied by PGS on topic Newly Diagnosed at 27!
Anne,

Well, your post was a little long ;) but it really helped me understand what this is like as a new blc survivor. Very encouraging words that will help many of us "superficial" people. I truly believe that a positive attitude can make a difference to ourselves, loved ones and friends.

Paul

Paul
Age 55
Ta G1
Dx Dec '07

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne