Journey for bladder removal.

16 years 2 months ago #14065 by justme
Replied by justme on topic Journey for bladder removal.
Monday he had a set back and went down hill. Of course he thought he was going to die but I knew he wasn't just a lot of pain and sick to the stomach.

Tueday they finally hit on some meds that worked and he is a new man by afternoon.
He also had a BM, you'll love this, all over the hall while we were walking. I thought he would be upset but he just said "Thank God that has finally happened!" LOL!

Last night the doctor put him on liquid diet which made Deverne happy too as he knew that was a sign of improvement.

The stoma nurse came in yesterday, what a wonderful lady. She'll be back today to explain more and then tomorrow she'll change the bag again, but I think she'll let me do it.

Deverne has given me the day off, well part of it anyway. My sister here is going to take me to Mankato so I can see my sister there and her new townhouse. I'm looking forward to that.

As for me my IBS kicked in with the Big D and it doesn't seem to want to give up even with my meds for it so I'm thinking the stress is more than I think it is.
Otherwise I'm doing ok.

Love to all and hopefully I will have time to read one of these days to see how everyone else is doing.

Hollie, the surgery wasn't robotic and we've been to the restuarant and yummy it is.

The path should be back and I haven't remembered to ask about it so am assuming since the doctor hasn't mentioned it it must be ok but I will check tonight when he comes. I think the doctor was conserned about getting Deverne more stable than anything as his bp went way down and his pluse way up for awhile.

justme pat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 2 months ago #14047 by Dale50
Replied by Dale50 on topic Journey for bladder removal.
Gene,

You are so right as even 13 weeks after surgery I find things I used to do with no effort now takes more time and I get tired where I did not before. The good news is I have learned to judge my progress by the week and not the day and I do get better every week even if I have a set back one day of that week! At four weeks post surgery I made a one day trip to Cancun to attend my companies sales meeting and present the sales awards as I do every year, I was working 6 hours a day at that four week time also. My boss bought me a very comfortable couch for my office so I could take a nap any time I needed. But since that time I have lived a pretty normal life and the new bladder works better than the old in some ways when you consider the symptoms of the cancer effects on the bladder that I had been living with. The first three weeks after surgeru were my worst beause of the cathader but once it was on on Christmas Eve it has been a rapid recovery, just take it slow and get plenty of rest is my advice.

Dale

16 years 2 months ago #14036 by Gene Beane
Replied by Gene Beane on topic Journey for bladder removal.
Dale,
Good advice for Pat,, glad you are doing well, spreading mulch!!! I am shoveling snow,,,,,but you are so right, go very slow, do what you can, and it takes months to get your strength back,,Gene

16 years 2 months ago #14022 by Dale50
Replied by Dale50 on topic Journey for bladder removal.
Pat,

I am so glad to see your husband doing well! For me I had to have a balance of walking, sitting in the chair and rest in the bed. One thing I learned was to listen to my body would tell me to sleep or rest and if I did not listen I would end up taking pain medication and having a small set back. The main thing to remember is this is a long trip not a short sprint and to take it as it comes and get better every day, I am 13 wekks post surgery today and I was able to spread 40 bags of mulch in my yard this weekend without any problems and slept 5 hours last night without waking up to go to the bathroom, a new record for me. So tell your husband his recovery will turn back into a pretty normal life in a short period of time.

Take care and good luck!

Dale

16 years 2 months ago #14020 by Stephany
Replied by Stephany on topic Journey for bladder removal.
Pat, my husband had 32 nodes removed, too! Let us know what you find out.

Stephany in Iowa

16 years 2 months ago #13993 by Gene Beane
Replied by Gene Beane on topic Journey for bladder removal.
Pat,
All great news, he seems to be doing whats expected of him and thats what gets you on the road to recovery. Its so nice to hear good things, keep the ball rolling,,slowly,,,,,,love you guys too,,,,Ginger

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne