End stage - Hospice Concerns - Infections

16 years 4 months ago #11698 by momof4
Replied by momof4 on topic End stage - Hospice Concerns - Infections
Pat, Hospice Care is for anyone who's life expectency is less than 6 months. If they live 6 months they are then re-evaluated. At least here in the US. Internationally I am not sure.

What do they mean when they say:" He is not actively dying?"

They are also not to do anything to Hasten or Delay Death. That is in their Mission Statement.

Karen

Caregiver for my Wonderful Husband Angelo, who has Metastatic Bladder Cancer.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 4 months ago #11697 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic End stage - Hospice Concerns - Infections
My understanding of Hospice is once they've accepted a patient they cannot then reject the patient. My father was recommended for Hospice 3 times and rejected 3 times as they thought he had more life in him than they were prepared to deal with.
Pat

16 years 4 months ago #11693 by momof4
Replied by momof4 on topic End stage - Hospice Concerns - Infections
Charlie....I don't know what to say except that you are an amazing son! Your Dad must be so proud of you...I put my father in Hospice 2 years ago (for Lung Failure not cancer),My brothers sisters and I second guessed that decision, and I think that it is common to think "Hey did I do the right thing here?" There is no exact science to dying, in much the same way as with treating this cancer.

My husband has Metastatic Bladder cancer (he's 47), and to think that the tumors can actually break the skin is such a scary thought. I hadn't heard that before. Is this common? We are still at the fighting stage...Although we are realistic that it is just palliative care, and that this disease IS going to eventually kill him...I still think there is no way to prepare for it...and there is no telling what the end will be like for anyone. I hope you father is pain free, and I am sorry that your family has to watch this...Just make sure you let him know that it is OK to go now. That is so important at this stage...He may be holding on for a reason...if he is able to talk, ask him...maybe he wants to see someone (an old friend) or feels he has unfinished business. It is one of the hardest things, to stand next to that bed and let them know that it is ok to go, everyone is going to miss him, but you are all going to be OK. Sometimes they feel that they have to hold on because someone isn't ready for HIM to go.

My thoughts are with you, and thank you for posting such an intimate view into your family.

Karen

Caregiver for my Wonderful Husband Angelo, who has Metastatic Bladder Cancer.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

16 years 4 months ago #11691 by Charlie3
Greetings all,
It has been a long-time since I've posted updates on my father who is now in at a hospice care facility in last days of his bladder cancer, I wanted to give an update on his cancer journey to share what I've learned, some concerns I have regarding his care, opinions and find some understanding.

My father has been at an in-patient 20-bed hospice care facility for an amazing 45 days, he was at a university hospital for 7 days, so 52 days immobile in bed. He was give 3 days to live when the bladder cancer infection started.

One of my concerns with hospice care is that on more than one occasion we've been asked to find another facility for my father because he wasn't "actively dying". His physical ability to fight the cancer at the end I guess is somewhat unusual and I got the impression they didn't know what to do with him because he wasn't moving along the curve fast enough. My concern to share for others is to understand the business of hospitals and hospice care and insurance. Earlier when we were at the university hospital once treatment options were ended we were "encouraged" to find a facility to care for him. My concern to share with other family caregivers that we failed to spend the time ahead of this final stage to research nearby care facilities or hospice choices BEFORE being faced with urgent need. It was emotionally stressful to find a place appropriate for his care and private rooms are rare to find.

I need to explain that his wound from the bladder cancer tumor located on his colon was severe. His wound care required professional and constant care, far too severe for any of family to care for him at home hospice, to take him home simply was not an option. I don't know if his progression of surface breaking infections, abscesses, is typical of bladder cancer or not. As well all his vital organs are in good condition and his young age of 64 has helped his ability to deal with the open wounds. A week ago another tumor site down the pelvis opened another wound.

I don't want to scare or shock, but we were not at all prepared to witness the extent to which the tumors as they fully progressed could literally rip apart the lower part of his body, yet leave the kidneys, lungs, heart, etc untouched. His cancer wound care is equivalent to that of severe burn victims - I can share more on that on another post as there was a last ditch option for surgery that was not pursued as the cure sounded much worse and would not have prolonged life much more than a month.

Another concern to share is when to stop antibiotics which help fight the cancer infections. Unknowingly we may have prolonged things by keeping the antibiotic IV going for 2 weeks, after the emotional goodbyes, my dad agreed with request of doctors at hospice to end the antibiotic treatment, but the infection appeared to slow or stop by that time, with the wound kept sterile nothing happened other than the continual slow growth of the tumors.

Despite our inability to care for our dad at home, he has never been alone from family. For 52 days so far we have been trading shifts with overnight stays at hospice and visits everyday from his brothers and sister and friends and relatives. I consider ourselves very fortunate to have found a rare in-patient hospice facility (only 2 in the state) with a private room and although sometimes exhausting we've been able to keep him in constant company to help with nursing staff and fulfill any request from dad as we can.

I guess I'm searching for a sense from others if we done things right or wrong some discussion or understanding that may be of value to others. There's an impression that his time in hospice given the severity of his wounds has been extraordinary. However, I don't want to give the impression that the vital organs aren't under severe stress which they are, it is more of a slow motion gradual process for the organs as his metabolism is overcome to deal with the open wounds.

Charles

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne