End stage - Hospice Concerns - Infections

16 years 3 months ago #12415 by Charlie3
Replied by Charlie3 on topic End stage - Hospice Concerns - Infections
..Day 76..

Still here.. all of us surprised.. and he seems to have an ever increasing appetite but we are so careful now not to give in to full demands or suffer the consequences..he has been getting small samples of things to eat.

He's been asking to go home every day, so I had mom ask the drs if at all possible for us to take him home now that the wounds are not so awful to care for, but we've been told no, the drug cocktails are much more complicated now that they can't be administered in the home environment. They advised us to bring more stuff from home to his room, pictures the grandkids painted cover the walls which have been there for some time now.. we've since put away all the xmas decorations. My overnight stay is tomorrow..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 4 months ago #12118 by Charlie3
..Day 67..

I did the overnight last night..not much sleep so will be brief..arghh.. my sister upon dad's insistance gave him some cereal earlier that day, all of a sudden he developed an appitite stated he was starving..well yes he hadn't eaten in 2 weeks..big mistake..I frowned on this when I arrived and was told about this despite it seeming like a good thing, because I knew that meant neither he nor I was going to get any sleep...for an hour at midnight it all came back out the way it went in and severe nausea awakening every couple of hours after that..thankfully I have a coffee maker in the room and bought good French roast coffee the night before to keep me awake. This is like law of gravity, can't feed someone solid food that hasn't eaten anything solid in 2 weeks!! The nausea went on for 18 hours before it seemed to get under control with higher doeses of meds, naturally after the doctor arrived in the morning and approved the higher dosage. No solids except for a scant teaspoon or two in the day. I'm sure this was so painful for him that it will scare him off such to drink nothing but water from now on.

Thanks Aimeth..I hope the best for you and your husband. My family and father have been very strong through this, perhaps a testimate to his longevity at hospice. I hope you and others find strong support from family and friends as we have, it would have been impossible for us to maintain such close around the clock support to dad without help from others.

16 years 4 months ago #12116 by driscolls
Replied by driscolls on topic End stage - Hospice Concerns - Infections
Aimeth,

Thank you so much for you kind words. It's been over 2 years now since my dad died and I still read all posts every single day. My heart breaks for so many of you battling this horrible disease, but I'm also so encouraged about so many of the success stories that I read every day. Also, it's so absolutely true that every case, not matter how similiar they seem, is different. Many people here had a much worse diagnosis than my dad and are doing wonderful today. I truly believe that God just wanted another angel in heaven and took him home.

This disease can be beaten and I pray that your husband is one of the ones to conquer it!

Debi

16 years 4 months ago #12067 by aimeth
Replied by aimeth on topic End stage - Hospice Concerns - Infections
Charlie and Debi,

I do not post frequently but I do keep up to date with every ones' postings. I am very sorry for all your pain and suffering you have been going through. My husband has been fighting now for 7 months and needless to say it has been very hard to see. Everyday I pray for strength so I can be there for him I will pray for you too. Aimeth

16 years 4 months ago #12059 by Charlie3
..Day 65..

The morphine has gone up 2mg/hr (day 63), it's only been water for about past 10 days. Debi, dad stopped eating when it appeared he couldn't hold down food either, that was voluntary on his part although he's had very small nibbles of food since. The doctors just tell me it is the disease progression.. who the heck really knows, the only way you're going to see these things is to thread him through a scanner. It has been 11 days since the urine turned really dark and cloudy. He's been a bit of an anomaly, outlived everyone in the place since we arrived, however, some patients are only in for a few days to recover from some complication then go back for the in-home hospice. His lungs have been clear, BP sometimes up and down, but has been healthier than visitors in the room, no temperature.. Before he got sick he did have sleep apnea where the breathing seems to stop for like 30sec and that still goes on. Overall his fat and muscles on the legs and arms of course without food have deteriorated substantially. I suppose with the slowed metabolism, pain-free starvation is at hand. Lots and lots of sleeping, but he will sit up with the aid of the bed to watch a little tv news, fulfill requests for water or move the bed around, his speech is whisper faint and it is sometime difficult to hear, you have to repeat everything back and wait for the positive nod or agreement to understanding in the eyes. We've all gotten used to putting our head and ear right in front of his mouth to listen clearly for instructions.

Debi, I'm sorry to hear about your experience and maybe from a hospice delivery strategy that may play into treatment differences from in-home versus facility care. Other than overnight there probably isn't more than a 3hr period that passes that some nurse or aid isn't doing something to check on dad, administer meds, check the morphine pump, cleanings, etc.. My understanding is that we'd be doing all that work at home and although I have yet to detail the abscess open wounds those wounds in themselves of such severity precluded any thought of taking dad home. (sometime I may muster the strength to describe his wounds in better detail and what happened but I'm not sure it is an appropriate read here, I think some of the nurses reconsidered career options after treating dad). Debi, were you told what medications were given and the dosage? I gave the nurse a bit of a grilling when the morphine was changed because the last time it was done weeks ago it did seem to tip him over to an unconscious state and the next day the dial was eased back. Each experience is unique and the hospice objective is to keep the patient pain-free, I do see the staff keeping a close eye on checking the patient's reaction to pain, constantly asking if he's feeling any pain. I think there may be more controversy over the sedatives given as I've seen in other web discussions in addition to the morphine alone - to change the mental behavior. Every patient is different but I think that they all have hallucinations, I was told to expect that, and the hospice care should have fully informed you of the drugs given and possible side effects.

On a lighter note since my last posting, we celebrated Christmas in his room, his room is adorned with a Christmas tree, lights across the bookcase and headboard (note - no blinking lights, that would be aggravating to the patient). Opened presents and such and had a nice ham dinner. We made the best of it, what else can we do except be there with him to enjoy the evening and be with family. Overall it all went well. Now my parent's wedding anniversary is in 2 days.

16 years 4 months ago #12053 by Gene Beane
Replied by Gene Beane on topic End stage - Hospice Concerns - Infections
Debi,

I think a whole new topic on hospice would be great. I have experienced it with my dad. I hated it. Everyone says how wonderful it is. I just wish everyone could go on there own, in a perfect world. My dad lasted 6 days, no food, no drink, just morphine, he went from a being who could communicate although having had a mid brain stroke couldn't move his left side and he couldn't swallow. I would put money on the fact that if left in the hospital he would have went on his own within one week. Thats what the docotr said. But can't do that, if he's not being treated to get better he has to go, somewhere, nursing home maybe. But no, to hospice facility where he was put in bed, given shots every 6 hours, went from awake to a vegetable in 2 days, died 4 days later. The 6 of us as his children couldn't overrule his wifes wishes, and he did what she requested, so it was a no win for us.So I talked to him hoping he could hear me until day 6, I can't get by it either. My mom died of a brain anyerisym, gone in a second, she was a fortuneate one, I guess. Ginger Beane

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne