End stage - Hospice Concerns - Infections

16 years 3 months ago #12988 by Renee
Replied by Renee on topic End stage - Hospice Concerns - Infections
Charlie,
I am very sorry to hear that your father has passed away. I always read your post with great interest and admiration. You and your family's care for him were just exceptional, and you all should be really proud of yourselves.

You will enter now a "quiet" time, although there may be a lot of paper work etc, and you need to adjust. After a long time staying strong, now comes a time that you don't need to be strong anymore and you can feel your grief.
Be gentle with yourself while you journey through it.
Renee

P.S. We have a section of Grief and Loss if you are interested.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 3 months ago #12978 by momof4
Replied by momof4 on topic End stage - Hospice Concerns - Infections
Charlie,

My thoughts and prayers for you and your family...Your father was such a fighter! What an inspirational story. You are such a great writer, and your father such a fighter, sounds like you need to write a book my friend. "83 Days with Dad".....

Stay Strong,
Karen

Caregiver for my Wonderful Husband Angelo, who has Metastatic Bladder Cancer.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

16 years 3 months ago #12977 by aimeth
Replied by aimeth on topic End stage - Hospice Concerns - Infections
Charlie, My deepest sympathy for you and your family. My thoughts are with you as well as my prayers! Aimeth

16 years 3 months ago #12969 by driscolls
Replied by driscolls on topic End stage - Hospice Concerns - Infections
I read, with tears in my eyes, your post about your dad.
Please accept my heartfelt condolences and may you find comfort in being there with your dad when he needed you and knowing that he died proud of raising a really great son.

My dad sounds alot like your dad and I have a feeling that they may become really good friends in heaven!

My heart aches every day, but I know that his suffering has ended and that truly brings me comfort. I hope you and your family find that same comfort soon!

Debi

16 years 3 months ago #12950 by Zachary
Replied by Zachary on topic End stage - Hospice Concerns - Infections
Charlie, I'm so sorry to hear of your father's passing. It's never easy, but please be grateful for the opportunity to spend time with him before he died. There are many who, for some reason or other, never got the chance to say goodbye. In that regard, you and your family are fortunate.

I'm impressed with your father. He sounds like a hell of a fighter.

Best wishes,

Zach

"Standing on my Head"---my chemo journal
T3a Grade 4 N+M0
RC at USC/Norris June 23, 2006 by Dr. John Stein

16 years 3 months ago #12949 by Charlie3
Replied by Charlie3 on topic End stage - Hospice Concerns - Infections
(( It is with great sadness that I report the loss of my father, his memorial was yesterday. Understandably I've been very busy the past week and some with his arrangements and family matters, below is some text I wrote on his last day. God bless all of you who are on this journey and may you find your family and friends as supportive as I have experienced. Many thanks to this website and the supportive sharing of information about this disease. ))

..Day 83..

I'm saddened to report my last posting on dad's days in hospice, he passed today, but far from quiet and peaceful.. true to his character, strong will and determination he fought his last hours to the end. His breathing from the prior morning became labored and all the family were called in, his eyes rolling back into his head and becoming unable to respond if only for a moment or two. I was amazed and bewildered that he still had the energy to fight so hard for every last breath with near explosive effort, gasping like a marathon runner that went on solid for nearly 18 hours. His temperature reached 104F as his infection resumed its race to his end.

A quiet peacefulness has reached us now. I will miss you dad, I'm ever so grateful for the wonderful memories and all you have done for us.

Us being there so long and every day 24x7 there was some tearful goodbye's from the hospice staff for which my dad and family are so thankful for achieving as pain free as possible his last days.

My cause is done here for my father, but I will continue to provide support and information to others who may benefit from my experiece.

Farewell,
Charlie

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne