Blood in urine following sexual activity

16 years 8 months ago #7179 by ddoyle
Replied by ddoyle on topic Blood in urine following sexual activity
Good news!!

The cytology results from 7/27 showed no malignant cells, just a lot of inflamation (from the BCG).

Will have a cysto on 8/10 but expect no surprises.

So far, so good!

DDoyle

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 9 months ago #6952 by ddoyle
Warren & all who have followed this:

I did go to my URO yesterday afternoon and left a specimen for a cytology. I had learned earlier in the day that the sample I had left last week did not show any infection from the culture they sent to the lab. I had been taking the celebrex for over a week and thought it had stopped the bleeding if not the pain (still considerable pain in the urethra during voiding -- probably from the edema), but the sample yesterday was "golden/orange" with a small clot so the bleeding's still there, just not so pronounced. Don't know if it's from the edema or what. I asked the URO's nurse what she thought and she ventured that it could perhaps be caused by a "recurrance". She also said they don't generally do a cytology untill 6 months after surgery (it's been 4 months and a week in my case) .

It will take a week and a half to get results. Amazing. Houston is the 4th largest city and they send their work to a small lab in San Antonio. Welcome to managed health care, I guess.

I still have an appointment on Aug 10, hopefully for a cystoscopy, provided that the edema has subsided enough for a successfull examination.

Just wanted to report that I did finally take action, just don't have any answers yet.

I do appreciate your feedback since this is all new and frightening to me since I have read some of the consequences of waiting. From all I have read, the CIS which I had (and may still have) can and does recurr and is very persistent and fast-growing.

David

16 years 9 months ago #6873 by ddoyle
Warren,

Thanks for the info. I will probably just wait until Aug 10 when hopefully I will be clear enough for a good cysto. The Celebrex seems to have stopped the bleeding but there's still some pain in the urethra when I go. No stricture, though. Probably still some inflammation & edema.

David

16 years 9 months ago #6854 by wsilberstein
Replied by wsilberstein on topic Blood in urine following sexual activity
Dear David,
Any physician can order a cytology. Ask your family physician if he would send one to his lab. You don't need to wait until August 10 for your urologist if you're anxious for an answer. The test can be done on a voided urine, i.e., you just pee in a cup. It doesn't have to be collected at a cystoscopy.

-Warren
TaG3 + CIS 12/2000. TURB + Mitomycin C (No BCG)
Urethral stricture, urethroplasty 10/2009
CIS 11/2010 treated with BCG. CIS 5/2012 treated with BCG/interferon
T1G3 1/2013. Radical Cystectomy 3/5/2013, No invasive cancer. CIS in right ureter.
Incontinent. AUS implant 2/2014. AUS explant 5/2014
Pediatrician

16 years 9 months ago #6848 by ddoyle
Wendy,

No problem, if I hang in there on this forum I'll be an expert some day if I read all the posts and links.

It's comforting to know that I probably don't have BCG infection but I most certainly am among the 30% who have experienced a strong reaction. Good news is that the Celebrex does seem to be gradually alleviating SOME of the pain and ALL the bleeding (as of right now).

I'm a little aggravated that my Dr. did not see fit to order a Urine Cyto (just a routine culture) when I went in for my cysto last Thurs 7/19 -- then he flew off to Tanzania until 8/10. Most likely the results will be negative but no way of knowing whether there are cancer cells. Oh, well :-\

Thanks for all you do to help us keep better informed ;)

David
TURB 4/13/07
TA, CIS
BCG 6X

16 years 9 months ago #6831 by wendy
Replied by wendy on topic Blood in urine following sexual activity
David,

I'm sorry for quoting too much information...please forgive me. Lamm will tell you that it's something like one in a million cases that end up like that because even sepsis is treatable. But because the threat exists it has to be stated, I would think, as with any treatment when you consent to it. But don't worry too much, from the sound of everything you do not have BCG infection.

All the best,
Wendy

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne