Blood in urine following sexual activity

16 years 9 months ago #6686 by ddoyle
Replied by ddoyle on topic Blood in urine following sexual activity
All:

Let's not forget to wish our friend Alice the best results possible on her appointment with her new Uro and possible cysto tomorrow!

David Doyle

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 9 months ago #6670 by ddoyle
Good info -- thanks very much. You mentioned Detrol causing constipation -- I forgot to mention that I'm also taking Enablex which no doubt also causes constipation, therefore when I was using both Enablex AND Prosed it perhaps doubled the side effect. I will look into getting the Senikot-- Thanks very much!

David

16 years 9 months ago #6667 by wsilberstein
Replied by wsilberstein on topic Blood in urine following sexual activity
I'm pretty sure Prosed and Urised are the same thing. I took that during my month long siege with bladder symptoms from my urethral stricture. Not sure how much it helped. Could have been worse without it. But it didn't cause constipation like Detrol did.
BTW, if you must take an antispasmodic, take Senokot with it to counteract the constipation.
The senna won't counteract the bladder benefits of the antispasmodic. MiraLax, which has recently become OTC can also be taken to keep the stool soft, but won't get things moving the way senna does.

-Warren
TaG3 + CIS 12/2000. TURB + Mitomycin C (No BCG)
Urethral stricture, urethroplasty 10/2009
CIS 11/2010 treated with BCG. CIS 5/2012 treated with BCG/interferon
T1G3 1/2013. Radical Cystectomy 3/5/2013, No invasive cancer. CIS in right ureter.
Incontinent. AUS implant 2/2014. AUS explant 5/2014
Pediatrician

16 years 9 months ago #6666 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic Blood in urine following sexual activity
Well, it looks like it helped with the burning!!

blcforum.com/smf/index.php/topic,894.0.html

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

16 years 9 months ago #6665 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic Blood in urine following sexual activity
David,

All of the anti-spamodic meds that my Doctor gave me for bladder problems are still in the packing and sitting in my drawer. They all listed the same side effect, constipation!

I had forgotten about the Prosed, which I actually authored a thread on here at the forum. I think that I only took it one time for bladder irritation during BCG's and with all else that was happening at the time, and the other burning issue of whether or not to coninute with BCG's I can't remember if it helped or not. I will go back to the thread and see if I recorded my response there. So much is thrown at us during this emotional time, that it helps to write it down. Also, I did not use the Prosed during the last treatment which maybe I should have done.

I have always been told to use Organic Cranberry Juice for maximum effectiveness. Also, if you are using Ocean Spray or the Supermarket Brand, the sugar content might make a difference in effect. However, if it doesn't work for you, then in my humble opinion, it might be better just to bow to the fact. (Although, it might not hurt to try the Organic type at the Health Food Store.)

Buds,
Rosemary

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

16 years 9 months ago #6664 by ddoyle
Alice & Rosemary,
the drink in my hand is in fact a "virgin" colada, no alcohol. However, like Rosemary I have on several occasions enjoyed a glass of red wine with my dinner, especially when traveling on business. No observable problems, in fact the red wine actually seemed to calm my bladder a bit, extending the time between bathroom visits from 60 minute intervals to as much as 100-120 minutes. That's one of my main problems recently, since the antibiotic knocked out most of the infection & pain: having to visit the bathroom every hour, round the clock, day or night, sometimes more frequently, depending on liquid intake. For instance last nite I got up at least eight times and that is not conducive to good rest >:(

I have tried the Azo and it didn't help a lot and also Prosed, prescribed by my Uro (a large dark blue pill which turns the urine blue). Unfortunately the prosed has a number of troublesome side effects, one of which is severe constipation :-\ -- so I am not currently using it.

Very odd about the conflicting opinions on cranberry juice -- I do drink it quite a bit but can't really say that it has helped. ???

When the pain was bad I was using a some advil but now that it has decreased I no longer use advil during the day.

Thanks for the interesting information.

David

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne