Really scared

16 years 2 months ago #13878 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Really scared
I am somewhat confused. Can someone clarify the difference between TURB (my uro has never used this term) and what I have had twice in the hospital in the last month under anesthesia (biopsy, fulguration)? Before scheduling the first biopsy, he did a cytoscopy(?) in the office where he just looked.

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 2 months ago #13868 by drosenberg
Replied by drosenberg on topic Really scared
I had a rigid cysto in office without anesthetic about 15 years ago. It was pure hell, and the *&!*% doctor had the nerve to tell me that I "have a low tolerance for pain." >:(

Don

16 years 2 months ago #13831 by wsilberstein
Replied by wsilberstein on topic Really scared
Dear Kyrellia,
The flexible cystoscope has to be used in the office. Can't imagine using a rigid scope on conscious patients, especially men since it's a right angle turn up from the penis through the prostate. The rigid scope is what's used for TURBs under anesthesia. The urologist can do so much more through it than a flexible scope. I've had all my follow up biopsies done through a rigid scope (under ansthesia of course :D). It isn't the scope that makes the difference. It's how much he has to do through it.
As far as the outcome, I wish I could promise you good things, but I'm sure you'll come through it fine and deal with anything that has to be dealt with. I know that any time I'm about to have a procedure my symptoms increase exponentially. Just last week when I was trying to decide if it was time to make an appointment with the urologist I saw a a spot of blood in my urine. Just the sight of that has increased my symptoms dramatically.

-Warren
TaG3 + CIS 12/2000. TURB + Mitomycin C (No BCG)
Urethral stricture, urethroplasty 10/2009
CIS 11/2010 treated with BCG. CIS 5/2012 treated with BCG/interferon
T1G3 1/2013. Radical Cystectomy 3/5/2013, No invasive cancer. CIS in right ureter.
Incontinent. AUS implant 2/2014. AUS explant 5/2014
Pediatrician

16 years 2 months ago #13826 by Gene Beane
Replied by Gene Beane on topic Really scared
Kyrellia,

That phrase, your bladder looks prone to have cancer,,,thats an odd thing to say, LIKE YOU WON'T WORRY,,, ugh,,,your stage is very low, don't worry your getting it ahead of the game, just keep up and let us know what happens with your test.
Ginger

16 years 2 months ago #13815 by kyrellia
Replied by kyrellia on topic Really scared
:-*Everyone who has replied, thank you so much for taking the time. I am off to hospital tomorrow and will post when I return, thankyou. :-*KYRELLIA

kyrellia

16 years 2 months ago #13811 by cstockton
Replied by cstockton on topic Really scared
Kyrellia,

Concerning the procedure involving the 'rigid scope', I personally had very few problems afterward (though this was likely due to the drugs ;)). That being said, the doctor warned me that there may be spasms, discomfort and possibly pain in my bladder for a few days.

I agree with others that if your tumor was Ta you are at a very good place right now. Take some time (when you are feeling better) to read up on bladder cancer and the treatments -- I know this helped to put my mind at ease.

Lastly, it is expected that when faced with something outside our control that we tend toward anxiety. We may even look fearfully at the future. In doing so, however, we lose sight of today, and miss the here and now. We also miss the fabulous opportunities that come our way. As difficult are right now, take some time to just rest (physically and emotionally), and let those "uncontrollable" things play out as they may. Take a firm grip of those things you can control (lifestyle choices like nutrition, exercise, rest, healthy relationships, etc.), and enjoy the results that will surely come.

Craig Stockton

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne