New News

15 years 10 months ago #17217 by Julie
Replied by Julie on topic New News
Mark, I'm sorry your Dad's Bladder Cancer has spread to the bone. This is difficult news to take in. We are still finding our way in dealing with Dick's spread to his ribs.
We were told by both the urologist and the oncologist that they did not see any reason to aggressively treat the CIS now that we know it has metastasized. From now on it is treatment for pain and perhaps an attempt to achieve remission. I don't know the state of your Father's bladder. Some people have had their bladder removed after metastasis because their bladder was so severely affected by treatment and/or the cancer that it no longer functioned as it should. From what you wrote previously I take it your Dad has tumors that the urologist was unable to remove and therefore wants to remove the bladder. I agree with the others that a second opinion in necessary.

I think the speed at which cancer spreads is related to factors that don't seem to be known at this time.
Dick's has been very slow according to his oncologist but he doesn't know why.

How is your Dad doing with this new information? I think one of the hardest things is to have to explain the news to family and friends but with every repetition of the facts they become more real.

Julie

Volunteer Coordinator
ABLSC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 10 months ago #17215 by Mark Rice
Replied by Mark Rice on topic New News
Thank-you all. Yes, I am seeing Pat's referral tomorrow - I have received raving reviews regarding his work and care so I am hopefully. Gene, you're right I will not quit until I get a 100% answer. Although I'm quite tearful right now, just trying to keep strong for the family:(

15 years 10 months ago #17214 by momof4
Replied by momof4 on topic New News
Mark,

I see that you are in Canada...Toronto Right? I think Pat gave you a link to a great Dr there didn't she? Rescheduling for a week or so will not make a difference...Don't let them make you feel rushed...At the very least find THE best surgeon if your Dad decides to go ahead with the surgery...Someone who has a proven track record...and does this operation often...That is the best place to start....

If there is help that you need, don't be afraid to ask...
Karen

Caregiver for my Wonderful Husband Angelo, who has Metastatic Bladder Cancer.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

15 years 10 months ago #17213 by Gene Beane
Replied by Gene Beane on topic New News
Mark,
I knew you would go further before subjecting him to the surgery. I guess I would want 100 per cent sure he is metastisized, not 90. I forget where you are located but I would get that 2nd opinion with a firm answer, we had our luck at the Cleveland Clinic, and as you have read there are many great places to go to get a second opinion..let us know where that will be, major cancer hospital who specializes in bladder cancer and removal...Ginger

15 years 10 months ago #17212 by Mark Rice
Replied by Mark Rice on topic New News
My main concern has always been firming up the diagnosis either with a bone biopsy or additional scans. Such was not done however, as main concern was placed on the bladder, perhaps justifiable so as there was urgency in the matter. I look forward to getting a second opinion from a major cancer centre.

15 years 10 months ago #17211 by tate
Replied by tate on topic New News
Hi Mark,
I do not have experience with Met. but I do want to let you know that I will keep you, your father, and family in my thoughts and prayers during this very difficult time. I think the others have given you good insight. As long as you are getting at least a 2nd opinion, I know you all will do what is right for your family.

God bless you all,
Tate

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne