Cancer Diet

13 years 7 months ago #34133 by vgau
Replied by vgau on topic Cancer Diet
Thank you Pat. You are the expert around here and I've always wanted an excuse to eat chocolate.

Dx 10/5 Non Invasive Papillary

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 7 months ago #34127 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Cancer Diet
On the happy note about chocolate, I bought my wife some chocolates for no reason a few weeks ago and there were some left! Used to be left-that is!

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

13 years 7 months ago #34123 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic Cancer Diet
I don't think anybody is talking about using diet as a 'curative' measure. I interpreted it as more of a question about eating healthier in a way that may reduce risk of future cancer.

Kind of like the argument about whether it really matters to quit smoking once you already get cancer versus (for those of us who smoked) quitting years ago or never starting.

Even though I still eat anything and everything (and too much of it at that), seems like having a diet rich in foods known to be beneficial is a good idea. As long as people aren't deciding to try to cure themselves of an existing cancer with diet (which is a bunch of hooie).

It may or may not change anything in terms of recurrence of bladder cancer (I think the jury is still out on that), but it may help to reduce the risk of a new cancer. Having a healthier diet isn't something that can hurt.

And for the record: Chocolate is a very important part of a healthy diet. :D

:)

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

13 years 7 months ago #34121 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Cancer Diet
apparently not!
pat

13 years 7 months ago #34120 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Cancer Diet
I know I have said it before, so I'll say it again. The time when diet would have been effective (maybe) was about 20 years ago, before the mutations or whatever that caused our blc happened.

However, it does not hurt to eat healthy. But special diets, lots of "whatevers", and tons of pomegranites aren't going to do much now.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

13 years 7 months ago #34117 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Cancer Diet
Heck..Coke cleans my toilet bowl!
I had trouble with dairy at first due to the mucus but that settles down.
Here's some recent ones i've read.........
Black pepper..quickly kills off abnormal cells without harming any healthy ones surrounding them. l/4 tsp. a day
(now this may have only been tested in a petri dish??)
Pomegranate...4 oz stops the spread of cancer cells..contain ellagitanins which stops cancer cells from moving throughout the body..according to Shiuan Chen, PH.D from City of Hope
other ellagitannin rich cancer fighters..blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, cranberries and walnuts.
(gotta say i ate all of those and still do...hmmmm)
Mangos..contains 921mcg of beta-carotine...2 times a week...supposed to trigger breast and colon cancer cells to self destruct. Its loaded with galotannins as is tea.
So i guess I should have eaten my mangos!

who knows? Pat

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne