I hate to ask the gross questions, but...

13 years 10 months ago #32680 by LeeH
Red,

Check to see if you are running a fever. In the beginning I had a couple of infections, with extreme chills and a low grade fever of abt 101.

If you have a fever then get thee on some antibiotics.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 10 months ago #32676 by mmc

Well, I couldn't have told you before because I've never heard of it and do not recall anyone else posting about the clogging and pain you describe. Could be that others have but never posted but that sure seems like something someone would ask about.

Sounds like a good idea to avoid dairy and coffee at least. Those are the two things people have mentioned that increased mucous.

The amount of pain you mention just doesn't sound good.
Hopefully others will chime in but that never happened to me. I had referred pain after a cysto before but never this back pressure in the urethra pain you talk about. That just doesn't sound right. Is your uro sure you don't have an infection?

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

13 years 10 months ago #32675 by FarRed
Replied by FarRed on topic I hate to ask the gross questions, but...
Thanks for the support. I'm 6-1/2 weeks post surgery, so am supposed to hold urination for only an hour. My doc said it is "Not uncommon to have referred pain along penis with this type of surgery." He meant it feels like it is at the tip of the penis, but is actually further back. Somewhere down the urethra it gets clogged, creates back pressure in the urethra and I'm guessing expands in a way it was never meant to. How painful? Picture doubled over, gasping and sweating. There is never any blood with this, so it isn't as dangerous as one might expect from this much pain. With a shorter urethra, I imagine it isn't a problem in females.

I'm glad no one ever told me the details before I went into this surgery. The external tube is looking better every day. The pain has to stop, because I can't live like this.

Thanks for the diet tip. From what I read before, it d/n seem there was a diet connection. From your replies, I see that isn't true. The only glaring addition to my diet yesterday (I keep a journal) was a little sour cream. I've always been a bit sensitive to dairy products so will lay off that for a while.

Bladder cancer diagnosed Mar, 2010.
Robotic assisted laproscopic cystoprostatectomy with Studer neo-bladder, 2010.
UMC Tucson

13 years 10 months ago #32671 by LeeH
I still have some significant mucus production but mostly during the day when I am doing heavy coffee and my usual crappy diet. It does seem to quiet down at nite though and when I am drinking a lot of water.

You are a little too early in this. I would just observe mostly for the moment. I remember the some non vountary dumping for awhile, but I do have to say that I don't ever remember any pain. I can usually get some warning with a little discomfort in my back and the feeling of a leak starting. You might try going at shorter intervals for a while and see if that helps eliminate the pain. I will sometimes go during the day at 3 to 4 hr intervals, with a little mucus expelled first, almost like a handy little plug. However it is not "weaponized" like Pat's :laugh:

And by the way, we are all in the same boat here, so there is never anything gross here.

Lee

13 years 10 months ago #32670 by mmc
My neo never did. If it filled too much it would just leak. The only time I got the 'contractions' was when I had the intesinal blockages.

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

13 years 10 months ago #32668 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic I hate to ask the gross questions, but...
HMmmmm...not sure how the neo works...but with the Indiana I remember in the beginning the nurses told me to drink this inordinate amount of water which i'd never done before and i got tremendous pain as my pouch would fill up quickly and then contract and you guys can't relate to this but it was like giving birth...One doc came in and ask how much i was drinking and i told him and he ask if i had always drunk that much and i said NO..and he said well quite doing it.......problem solved. I still get contractions if i go to long...it lets me know when to empty. Just wondered if the neo does something similar?
pat

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne