Finally on \"TB\" meds

14 years 6 months ago #28509 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic Finally on \"TB\" meds
Bill,

Glad to hear you are finally getting the meds for the prostate. Hope that fixes the problem for you.

I thought all doctors gave antibiotics when doing a cysto. I konw they gave me macrobid every time I had a cysto (along with a ocuple of days worth of peridium).

You probably don't want to hear it but a 10% BCG dose is worth considering. According to Dr. Lamm there is no decreased efficacy shown with lower doses. When I asked him why they don't just start people at those lower doses and change the protocol I think it was pretty much not enough research money.
So while it is "evidenced" that there is not decreased efficacy, there aren't a bunch of studies to support it.

If you have any problem with the 10% dose of BCG, then go the "no more BCG" route. It's just that BCG has such a HIGH rate of success of CIS. Otherwise, I'd say to hell with the BCG.

I'd also ask UVA about the idea of the 10% solution. You certainly want to drop it (and not even try the 10%) if there is a high risk of sepsis in your case. That's why my uro took me off it and wouldn't even let me try lower doses. I was on 50% dose but because I got a very high fever and chills, he didn't want me to take the chance.

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 years 6 months ago #28508 by Bill Jr
Finally on \"TB\" meds was created by Bill Jr
:( Had my every 3-mo Cysto today (#2) and PTL, I got an all clear. However, a Cysto with a 4-mo old prostate infection was not without pain and I am bleeding a little & sore.

He finally put me on a "TB" med for the prostate infection, for 2-weeks at a time. This only after I went to UVA for a 2nd opinion.

UVA suggested I have no more BCG's, due to hellish side effects & prostate infections. My Uro wants me to consider, after the infections is gone, to start BCG again, but at a 10%-dose.

For the fisrt time, he gave me one (1) antibiotic pill before leaving the office today and suggested he may start me on an antibiotic a few days prior to each visit????

The saga continues.

Turbt (May 09)
T1 High grade
Began BCG June 09 (every 3-mo for next 2-yrs)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne