9 days and counting, ?? from my wife

16 years 6 months ago #9243 by Mike
Replied by Mike on topic 9 days and counting, ?? from my wife
Short and sweet head home because when your done this surgery it will do all the talking. Good Luck, Joe

Zach I got the Indiana Pouch and I wasn't up to no trips am I missing your point here because I went through the same deal you are talking about hard getting in and out of the car plus the chair and then the steps added more fun.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 6 months ago #9241 by Zachary
Replied by Zachary on topic 9 days and counting, ?? from my wife
Now that I read Rick's post I'm wavering just a bit. If Marcus is receiving a neobladder, then my Hindenburg/Titanic analogy stands. If Marcus is receiving something else--and his intestines remain intact--he might be up for very short trips. That would more like an Edsel in the parking lot of Three Mile Island. Not a splendid idea, but there are certainly worse ones out there.

My advice to the Peggy is to be extremely flexible and ready to cancel plans *immediately* if Marcus isn't feeling up to snuff.

There was no way I could have done anything after my surgery. Getting out of a chair was impossible without my wife helping me.

"Standing on my Head"---my chemo journal
T3a Grade 4 N+M0
RC at USC/Norris June 23, 2006 by Dr. John Stein

16 years 6 months ago #9240 by RAH
Replied by RAH on topic 9 days and counting, ?? from my wife
Marcus,
I looked at your past post and did not find anything on what they are doing for your urinary diversion.
What type are they planning for you? Recovery time for each is different as is the discomort it brings.

I read into your post that you were staying in Tuscon for a while after surgery.

How long will you be staying before heading up to Flagstaff?

If you have days before you leave Tuscon, you will be able to tell with short trips (to the store, church, park etc..), if you will be able to withstand longer drives.

Ghoul Luck on your surgery

Rick

16 years 6 months ago #9239 by Zachary
Replied by Zachary on topic 9 days and counting, ?? from my wife

Imagine the Hindenburg crash-landing onto the Titanic.

That's about how bad an idea that is. Marcus will be in no way, shape, or form up to a little side jaunt on the way home.

As far as mattress protection, Marcus will come home with a catheter, so no special protection is needed. After he has it removed--probably in a couple of weeks--he'll probably need some protective mattress pads. We bought some really inexpensive ones at Target that worked well.

Zach

"Standing on my Head"---my chemo journal
T3a Grade 4 N+M0
RC at USC/Norris June 23, 2006 by Dr. John Stein

16 years 6 months ago #9234 by mznoregrets
Replied by mznoregrets on topic 9 days and counting, ?? from my wife
Hi :)
The trip home from the hospital was about 6-7 hours for me, and it was in March. I was in the front passenger seat and it was very reclined. A pillow was put over me where the seat belt straps contacted me. I was medicated, weak ( I had had 2 units of blood just a few days before the trip home). I was moderatly comfy in the car, however getting into a restroom to empty the bag and flush the neobladder was not easy. Had my family wanted to stop over anywhere for a day at that time - I would have had even greater difficulty. Maybe Flagstaff is best left as a visit done further into recovery. Even if things go well surgically - there is still discomfort and the risk of exposure to anyone infectious should be limited.
Wishing you the best, God Bless, Holly

16 years 6 months ago #9228 by Marcus
9 days and counting, ?? from my wife was created by Marcus
Boooooooo whoooooooo. unreal, my much anticipated surgery is scheduled for Halloweeeeeeen, and that's fine with me. had my ekg, gave up a pint of red stuff, more blood work and then it's on to tucson next monday. bone scan to do, and all pre-op register details. any last min. advice for best experience/result while in hospital and week afterward? i've never been able to use hydrocodine for pain what's a good alternative? Trick or treat - we'll find out!
Marcus

Wife of Marcus here, Peggy. Our daughter, a recent grad of UCSB, moved home to help us and I'm sure she'll be good (and entertaining!) company in Tucson. Before surgery, we're off to visit friends at the Grand Canyon where poker buddies will draw pumpkins to be "carved" on Marcus's belly.
I've been reading this site and learning what to take (toiletries, a man shawl, ipod) and what not to take (robe and lounging pants that are too tight), but I still have a few questions. What kind of protection for the mattress will we need for the first few weeks? When we leave Tucson we plan to drive to Flagstaff for a short stay before heading home. Any suggetions re: the ride home? We'll be in BABBs - Marcus's Big Ass Billy Bob truck and he's thinking he can lay down in the back seat. Suggetions welcome.
thanks for being out there for so many - Peggy

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne