9 days and counting, ?? from my wife

16 years 6 months ago #9340 by Dixie
Replied by Dixie on topic 9 days and counting, ?? from my wife
Marcus,
I had a 5 hour drive from my hospital (Johns Hopkins, Baltimore) to the Poconos in PA. after my surgery. I stayed one night in Baltimore after discharged from the hospital just in case I had problems flushing my neobladder. If you get a neobladder you will have to flush your catheter I think(it's been 18 months since my surgery) every 4 hours and as needed. Actually, we borrowed my in-law's car so it would be easy for me to get in and out of the car. We had a Pathfinder and van which wasn't the best thing to get in and out of, let alone the rough ride. I had my husband driving with my mother-in-law to help me flush my catheter. I sat on a pillow and put a soft plush Teddy Bear inbetween the seatbelt and me. I was not in a lot of pain but I needed to flush a lot. I think the ride jared a lot of mucus loose. We stopped every 2 hours and let me walk a little so I wouldn't get blood clots. I also wore the Teds stockings for about 4 weeks after surgery to prevent blood clots.
Maybe you can just take extra strength Tylenol. That's all I took when I got home because I had problems with constipation and hydrocodiene will constipate you. DO NOT EAT STEAK before your surgery. I ate one two nights before surgery and they say it is one of the hardest things to digest. I had real issues with my bowels after surgery. Hopefully, this info helped you out a little. I am 18 mths. post-op with a neobladder and my life is pretty much back to normal. I did have chemo before which I would recommend if the Dr. suggest it. I don't know your story so I just thought I would throw that in. Good Luck and just remember life does get back to normal.
Dixie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 6 months ago #9338 by Mike
Replied by Mike on topic 9 days and counting, ?? from my wife
Marcus I could not imagine a 7 hr ride after this surgery. I only had to drive about 45 mins and I swear I could not wait to get home. I mean if you have someone that could drive you in one trip great and maybe stop and take a break. But even with this it isn't like you will want to get out of the truck and strecth your legs and take a walk because walking will still be painful. I guess I was lucky I lived closer to a great hospital. Well whatever you decide please be careful and have a safe one. Joe ;)

16 years 6 months ago #9334 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic 9 days and counting, ?? from my wife
I don't know Marcus...the pumpkin on the belly might steal away their thunder as they're going to paint you with orange antiseptic stuff anyway and then do some carving of their own! The week before my surgery i ate pretty good...all the good stuff...lobster, steaks, hot fudge sundaes, ( they had already warned me i was going to lose about 20 lbs)...my surgery was at 6:00 a.m. so no big meal the night before but i think i lost the 20lbs with the GoLytely that evening. Really they should have named that stuff "Keep Going" or "Forget about Sleeping"...
Have a Happy and successful Halloween! Pat

16 years 6 months ago #9331 by Zachary
Replied by Zachary on topic 9 days and counting, ?? from my wife

You might as well. We did.

Usually before people go into the hospital for surgery, I think it's a good idea to avoid a seven-course meal just because of the constipation factor.

You, on the other hand, will be drinking some GoLytely and that meal will be long gone before your surgery starts. It took a while before my GoLytely kicked in, and I said to my wife, "I'm pretty sure this stuff isn't working." Believe me, it works. It may take a while, but it definitely works.

Why not have an early Thanksgiving?

"Standing on my Head"---my chemo journal
T3a Grade 4 N+M0
RC at USC/Norris June 23, 2006 by Dr. John Stein

16 years 6 months ago #9325 by Marcus
Replied by Marcus on topic 9 days and counting, ?? from my wife
thanks pat, am i allergic? not to tylenol thank goodness, but every time i swallow a hydrocodine pill, (twice now just to double check)i have about 30 seconds to get to in position to see it agian! anyway, i'm sure they'll have magic meds for me. do you think it's over the top to paint my belly orange with a jack-o-lantern theme, smiling to the doc's of course, and notate with Trick or Treat. think i'll cross off the trick part. another question, since i'll not have much use for my digestive systme for a few days after surgery, should we have a most excellent cuisine beforehand, kind of a last supper (before the gut cut)? (Can you tell as it gets nearer, i become a little silly.) thanks agian for feedback and support, i'm feeling more and more confident the more i hear from others in this boat.
thanks, marcus

16 years 6 months ago #9306 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic 9 days and counting, ?? from my wife
a 7 hr drive is a long drive and it should be broken up with frequent stops every two hours or so just to stretch your legs and keep circulation going. Plus i wore the leg bag on the trip home which doesn't hold as much and needed to be emptied but much more comfortable than the other bag. As long as your friends know you may not be up to a lot of socializing its not a bad idea to stop.
I'm sure the docs have many alternatives to hydrocodone....you may or may not need something that strong......are you allergic to codeine or acetaminophen? They will take care of you.......Pat

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne