Sores and Rash Update

13 years 1 week ago #37504 by Herb
Replied by Herb on topic Sores and Rash Update
Hi Again jimswife:

The compliment is well deserved and I bet Jim agrees. I had my RC on 9/11/10 --- 9/11 is unfortunately an easy day to remember even for a fuddy dud like me. Everything is going well for me for in my past I lost my Dad when he was 57 years old and then I lost my brother when he was 55 --- both to cancer, so I was prepared to face cancer but to be 71 years old when I got it, well I no complaints whatsoever. Like your Jim I am lucky to have a wife who has always been on my case about my health and has always hounded me big time to go to the doctor when I by nature would have not done so; many of us males have been saved by a wife who had better sense.

The only problem I have had so far has been the one I have driven people to distraction on this blog with, the rash, breakouts and trying to figure out the cause and then way to address the problem. I contacted major manufacturers and all four responded with samples --- Hollister, Coloplast, Convatec, and Cymed. Hollister which who I started with and Coloplast have customer representatives who have been super: they call, they e-mail and send samples and assure me they will hang in there with me until we solve the problem; I know our needed supplies are big business --- but to have knowledgable, helpful and simply nice folks who work with you is meaningful to me.

I try to stay active with my hobbies: Amateur Radio; Computers, Videos Games have both XBox and Wii --- I think I am oldest guy on XBOX Live but use the internet with them to keep in touch with kids and grandkids --- but ocassionally play some games with my sons.

With this last breakout I have used mostly Coloplast bags but today when one leaked very quickly, I put on one of old Hollister extended wear and it is holding and will see in a day or so if adhesive once again becomes problem (I am hoping I am reacting to urine and not products) and I will be using you info. My wife says thank you for she usually takes the lead with changing bags unless she is at work.

Will let you know progress using several of your shared procedures. Have great Easter. Herb†

Age 72 had radical 9/11/10 have conduit everything is fine, grateful to be a cancer survivor. Lost Dad and Brother to Cancer both in their 50's.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 1 week ago #37502 by jimswife
Replied by jimswife on topic Sores and Rash Update
Thanks, Herb, I am blushing with your compliment. I hope it helps. Being and "innie" makes a big difference and took lots of trial and error that's why I am more than happy to help and offer whatever suggestions we know have worked for Jim. How are you doing otherwisea? I forget how far out you are from RC/IC. Stay well, friend.

13 years 1 week ago #37501 by Herb
Wow! Thank you again jimswife, thas outline was great and answered several more questions. You are a Gem! Herb†

Age 72 had radical 9/11/10 have conduit everything is fine, grateful to be a cancer survivor. Lost Dad and Brother to Cancer both in their 50's.

13 years 1 week ago #37500 by jimswife
Replied by jimswife on topic Sores and Rash Update
Hi, Herb, glad that info has helped you some. I will list the tried and true method for a fellow "innie". It is different than when you have the rosebud so here goes:
1. moisten the adhesive area around the the flange with plain water
2. gently pull the skin back from the adhesive area of the flange to
pull the flange from the skin will always cause raw area.
3. clean entire area each time you change everything with plain water. Clean it using 4x4 gauze pads. I use one that is moistened and then keep it to the side in case there is ANY urine leakage. This is done EVERY time flange is changed.
4. Use an adhesive remover wipe the best we've found are the Smith Nephew
5. dry skin and sprinkle with some powder and wipe off any excess, if the powder is on too thickly nothing sticks.
6. use a skin barrier wipe EACH time you change the flange. We use 2 allowing the wipe material to sort of dry between applications a quick count to 10 works fine. Again the Smith Nephew seem to work best for Jim.
7. apply the flange pressing down on the inner part for a few seconds maybe 15 seconds. Then apply bag.

Herb, through lots of trial and error your fellow innie Jim has had the bags/flange last leakfree for upwards of 4 days. I think it would last longer but since once the Eakins sort of melts the risk of leaking increases. It seems the Eakins is a big part of his being leak free! Other brands do not seem to work as well. Hope all of this helps you out! That leaking is not funny at all and is always a challenge. I believe the "innies" have more of an issue with it since the urine flows right over the entire adhesive parts and loosens the whole thing. Let me know how it works for you!

13 years 1 week ago #37496 by Herb
Thanks for info Mike, Yes, when rash is bad had same problem. I thought maybe it was the protective wipes or medicines that were effecting adhesion but skin sure does get roughed up. From what Jimswife shared it sounds like I am going to have to use some extra kin barrier to keep my skin clear as possible from urine. I have one more set of sample bags but since they are not conex I have my doubts --- as I have said my stoma is slightly inny close to surface but not above so convex seems right however urine erodes to quickly so that leads me to believe I will have to try some extra skin barrier. I am experiencing some frustration but trying to stay positive --- but grumbling does slip out now and then --- well maybe a little more than grumbling. Herb†

13 years 1 week ago #37488 by motomike
Replied by motomike on topic Sores and Rash Update
When I had my infection I had one bag that lasted only a few hours. Irritated skin just doesn't give the bag good adhesion.

I'm 70, retired heat/air contractor. After 4 months of keymo ileal conduit (IC) surgery removed bladder & prostate May 2010

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne