Sores and Rash Update

13 years 1 week ago #37454 by motomike
Replied by motomike on topic Sores and Rash Update
I think 3 or 4 days is the expected use time for short term bags but with infections that will be even shorter. You just won't get as good a seal with infected skin.

I'm 70, retired heat/air contractor. After 4 months of keymo ileal conduit (IC) surgery removed bladder & prostate May 2010

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 1 week ago #37453 by motomike
It turns out I am not allergic. I’m now using up several weird samples from my stoma nurse or Hollister. Right now I have a Hollister extended wear and will change it tomorrow (7th day) and will then use up several boxes of the flat Hollister 8460’s then I’ll order the Hollister slight convex, cut to size. I’ll call Hollister for the number on it. I really like the extended wear with little hooks for the belt. My memory is so shaky I date my bags with magic marker.
I believe the RX cream (Nystatin and Triamcinolone Acetonide) was what erased my rash. The directions were to massage it into the skin around the stoma before applying the bag. You and our other bag buddies can chuckle at the challenge it was to do this while holding a wick over the stoma! It worked and I’m now clear of rash. Of course my rash was not a major infection. My nurse and I were just anxious that it not get worse. I would think that you would NOT want extended wear bags while battling infections because you would want to apply medications and inspect regularly.

The caking which Jims wife used was helpful but did not get rid of the rash. Can your Doc or nurse email an Rx to your pharmacy for the cream mentioned above? I understand you have a huge distance thing.

I'm 70, retired heat/air contractor. After 4 months of keymo ileal conduit (IC) surgery removed bladder & prostate May 2010

13 years 2 weeks ago #37446 by Herb
Replied by Herb on topic Sores and Rash Update
Whoops: hey Mike how long do youi get out of your regular bag you now use? I was able to get a week out of Hollister Extended wear which I may be able to go back to if rash is caused by urine contact. Present bag is Coloplast regular bag and it lasts just 3 days. I have idea what the average length of wear time in 'bag world?'

Age 72 had radical 9/11/10 have conduit everything is fine, grateful to be a cancer survivor. Lost Dad and Brother to Cancer both in their 50's.

13 years 2 weeks ago #37445 by Herb
Hey Mike: remind me again: did you decide cause of your rash, and what did you do to cure it, my recall is terrible and also bad at going back and finding what I need on website --- did you just use skin protective and powder? What a memory I have --- NOT! Herb†

Age 72 had radical 9/11/10 have conduit everything is fine, grateful to be a cancer survivor. Lost Dad and Brother to Cancer both in their 50's.

13 years 2 weeks ago #37438 by motomike
Herb
I’m really sorry to hear that your rash is still with you. It seems that your thinking (fluid against skin) is solid. I’ll keep watching your posts in hopes that you will land on the right solution.

Once I got rid of the rash I was faced with lots of the original flat bags and decided to go back and use them up. I thought that we maybe decided I was allergic to them TOO quickly. Sure enough I’m wearing them trouble free. I’ll be adjusting my future order to precut and slight convex (belt style).
The stoma nurse is so darn important, it sure is a shame you are so far away from each other. I wonder if you could post on Craig’s list and maybe find that a retired stoma nurse just lives down the street from you?

Don’t discount the possibility of something obvious yet overlooked. I’m thinking of fungus (hiding under the nails). My daily gardening has got me regularly brushing under my nails; something I wouldn’t even have noticed a year ago. I try putting a little of the “nystatin and triamcinolone acetonide cream” under my nails too.

I’m just grasping at straws – trying to be helpful.

I blame keymo for my super thin skin. I’m using moisturizing on my arms, legs and even face. It seems to help. If nothing else it feels good.
We will be watching your progress on this and, of course, wishing you luck.

13 years 2 weeks ago #37437 by Herb
Now on my third allergic reaction --- which is a rash that blisters. I feel like Sherlock Holmes attempting to solve a mystery. Will have to go again to Stoma Nurse but will first go to the one that is hour and half away rather than three hours away.

My reactions seemed at first to be caused by infection. But after clearing up infection I then had another breakout. We moved to allergic reaction. Tried alternative Hollister 2 piece bag that had different adhesive. Not successful there. Then moved to a Coloplast bag and we got everything cleared up --- thought we had a solution. Ah Ha -- wrong again --- today removed bag and rash is back but did notice that rash followed path where barrier had normally eroded. Hummm, now wondering if my skin is reacting to the urine that eventually works its way through.

When I first started the extended wear Hollister Convex lasted 4-6 days but with change to coloplast regular bag it lasts 3 days. I have no idea what the average wear time is within the 'bag world' but I have heard some normally go 6 or 7 days --- now that would be nice but right now I worry about what's going on under adhesive and barriers that I doubt I would leave bag on if it lasted longer than 3 days.

Well not totally discouraged -- just a 'wee bit' discouraged
--- but will continue to find out a way through this mystery --- may be I will need some kind of skin barrier to keep urine totally off the skin -- if that is possible --- well I will continue to continue and post now and then to let you all now how the adventure is going in Bag World. Herb †

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne