Skin Irritations around stoma?

13 years 2 months ago #36584 by motomike
Replied by motomike on topic Skin Irritations around stoma?
Jimswife
I’m anxious that we are talking about the same items. Powder- Stoma powder? Or the “Zeasorb-af” that I’ve been using.

I also have a few pads on sticks from 3m called “No sting Barrier Film” I also have that as a spray.

I'm 70, retired heat/air contractor. After 4 months of keymo ileal conduit (IC) surgery removed bladder & prostate May 2010

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 2 months ago #36579 by jimswife
Replied by jimswife on topic Skin Irritations around stoma?
With the chance that it may make it worse rather than better, Jim's ostomy nurse told me to take the skin barrier and put it on the skin that is irritated then put power on top of it, dab at the powder with the skin barrier swab. I did this 3 times until there was a coating built up between the flange adhesive and Jim's skin. Worked like a charm within 4 days all the raw open area was healed. I've had to help with this several time since he had his RC. Like I said, I thought how is using what seems to be irritating going to fix the problem. It did work well. The last coat should be with teh barrier swab. It's called caking. because you are building a caking of the powder and barrier up.

13 years 2 months ago #36576 by motomike
Herb
It seems like you and I are on the same route and trying much the same powder & sprays. I am not getting worse but also not improving much either. I just talked to my ostomy nurse and have a date March 1st. Mine is just a minor redness but is bad enough to shorten the effectivness of all the adhesives. Please stay in touch on this and I'll do likewise.

Both my ostomy nurse and Hollister have me trying several advanced seals (Convex, with or without belt, etc)but nothing is going to be great until the skin irration is overcome.

I'm 70, retired heat/air contractor. After 4 months of keymo ileal conduit (IC) surgery removed bladder & prostate May 2010

13 years 2 months ago #36541 by motomike
My ostomy nurse said try Zeasorb-af powder followed with a 3m spray called Cavilon no sting barrier film. Both are non Rx. The spray was a little hard to find. Hollister called me and they are sending a bag that does not have the adhesive tape. It seems that I might be sensitive to the adhesive tape.

I have always had sensitive skin (scalp and feet esp.) so this minor infection really doesn’t surprise me. I spray or powder my shoes regularly for athlete’s foot.

13 years 2 months ago #36540 by Herb
Skin Irritations around stoma? was created by Herb
Just wondering if someone would share what they have done if when using a pouch and there is skin irration which is persistent after using skin powder and skin barrier --- what are other procedures or products that can be used? I am using Hollister Pouches and powder and skin barrier. Irritaion is less than inch around but has not gone way in several weeks.

Age 72 had radical 9/11/10 have conduit everything is fine, grateful to be a cancer survivor. Lost Dad and Brother to Cancer both in their 50's.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne