Skin Irritations around stoma?

13 years 2 months ago #36706 by jimswife
Replied by jimswife on topic Skin Irritations around stoma?
Glad you could pickup the spray saving a bit. We all need to do that these days! Like I wrote we found the caking worked wonders for Jim. He uses only dial soap to shower and since the skin is well prepped prior to the application of the wafer with first water then the adhesive remover we haven't had any problems since the one big flare up. I was concerned since he was on chemo and worried that he would get a HUGE infection. Caked that bad boy up and voila! It was all better. Sorry, Herb, about the fungus. I have heard some people say they use a anti fungal powder vs the stoma powder. Haven't done that since it wasn't a fungus on Jim. Also, the paper edged Natura wafers by Convetec seem to work best for jim and his skin. Hope you get healed up soon. A real challenge for sure. Also, sometimes when it was broken skin the wafer was turned on a diamond rather than squared off on the abdomen. Just a thought, it gave the skin a bit of a break from being "under cover" so to speak.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 2 months ago #36699 by motomike
Replied by motomike on topic Skin Irritations around stoma?
We are all pretty much the same place on the learning curve so keep sharing info etc.
Jimswife (Carla) thanks for the Best Buy tip on the spray for $11. I was paying $15.59 so I ordered 6 while they are on sale.Because I can not see the lower area I get powder and spray all over the place. Maybe I will improve with practice. :S
www.bestbuyostomy.com/

My Ostomy nurse appt is tomorrow.

I'm 70, retired heat/air contractor. After 4 months of keymo ileal conduit (IC) surgery removed bladder & prostate May 2010

13 years 2 months ago #36687 by Herb
Replied by Herb on topic Skin Irritations around stoma?
Ok went to Wound Center in Roswell which hasa two stoma nurses who are Physician Assistants and Married. After quick look he belileves what I have is a fugal infection and gave me a prescription powder to be used until I clear up. I can return to using other Hollister stoma powder when infection is gone if there is need. He also suggested I give up using soap because area is cleaned with alocoh0l wipe and/or adhesive remover so use of just clear water is fine. He said sometimes a small amount of soap can be left and under flex skin or adhesive this will cause irritations even if with recommended Ivory or Dial.

I will use this protocal and see what happens. I liked the stoma nurses at Presbyterian Wound Center in Albuquerque but that is a 3 hour ride up and 3 hour ride back --- so I hope Wound Center in Roswell works out.

Age 72 had radical 9/11/10 have conduit everything is fine, grateful to be a cancer survivor. Lost Dad and Brother to Cancer both in their 50's.

13 years 2 months ago #36660 by motomike
Replied by motomike on topic Skin Irritations around stoma?
I am trying the caking procedure (Fri) and although I didn’t think I was going to get adhesion it does seem to be hanging on AND drying so my appt with wound nurse is Tuesday a m. More later on this.

I'm 70, retired heat/air contractor. After 4 months of keymo ileal conduit (IC) surgery removed bladder & prostate May 2010

13 years 2 months ago #36657 by Herb
Replied by Herb on topic Skin Irritations around stoma?
Mike: irritation still persisting with redness around stoma and also there a couple of bad red spots under the adhesive --- so if I am allergic it is to both 'flextend' and adhesive --- now that would be a bummer. Have appointment Monday with a 'Wound Center' in Roswell about 70 miles away that I just found out about and we will see what their advice might be. Will keep in touch.

Age 72 had radical 9/11/10 have conduit everything is fine, grateful to be a cancer survivor. Lost Dad and Brother to Cancer both in their 50's.

13 years 2 months ago #36606 by jimswife
Replied by jimswife on topic Skin Irritations around stoma?
Motomike, I found the cavilon spray adhesive you wrote about at best buy catheter supply online for $11 and change I think it is a special this month. Ck it out. I found this site while seeking foley caths for Jim.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne