It is Time to Decide What Procedure For Bladder Removal

13 years 8 months ago #33552 by mmc
Herb,

Since you didn't mention the doctor's name, there isn't much we can do to point out any comparison. Check to be sure that bladder cancer is a specialty and not just prostate. Check how many of these surgeries he does a year. Review his resume. Getting a cystectomy is a very big deal and it is very important to get the best you can.

I know it's a hike but there is a surgeon at University of Colorado hospital in Denver.

Check out her resume here: Shandra Wilson

She does all diversion types and it part of a great team of doctor's with a focus on bladder cancer.

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 8 months ago #33548 by Herb
Thanks, I will keep reading and reading, I have confidence in my urologist and he was highly recommended by my oncologist and she is best we have in New Mexico; I was leaning towards Indiana Pouch but my urologist has stopped doing those because his patients have had more trouble with them. But as I make my decision if I end up wanting Indiana I will have to find good surgeon in our neck of the woods. I am in SE New Mexico so there are probably some good surgeons. But again thanks for sharing

Age 72 had radical 9/11/10 have conduit everything is fine, grateful to be a cancer survivor. Lost Dad and Brother to Cancer both in their 50's.

13 years 8 months ago #33547 by RAH
Herb,
If you go to the link that I attached, you can read my thoughts on the external bag (Illeal Conduit).

If you have questions, just ask away.

www.bladdercancerwarrior.com/indianapouch/illealconduit.html

13 years 8 months ago #33545 by mmc
Herb,

I have had a neobladder since Oct 2008. I'm one of the ones who have had some complications and I have to catheterize every time I go. I can tell you straight up that I couldn't even imagine having to catheterize myself before having to do it. I didn't have to at first but I couldn't completely empty. Then it wound up being always. Once the prostate is out (that happens whenever they do the bladder removal).

I can also tell you that I asked folks about what they experienced with the different diversions and would they pick the same if they had the choice today. Pretty much everyone said yes that they would pick the same and that they are happy with what they chose.

Even I would choose the same diversion I have.

People will chime in with experiences to share with you.

The one thing that is the MOST important thing with these surgeries is going to a major bladder cancer hospital with doctors that do cystectomies every week. It is a complicated surgery and there are things that can go wrong that can be a real problem later. That's why you want a top surgeon.

Good luck with your decision.

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

13 years 8 months ago #33544 by Herb
I have to Decide on Replacement Procedure and would like to hear from experienced folks

Age 72 had radical 9/11/10 have conduit everything is fine, grateful to be a cancer survivor. Lost Dad and Brother to Cancer both in their 50's.

13 years 8 months ago #33543 by Herb
** This thread discusses the content article: It is Time to Decide What Procedure For Bladder Removal **

Hi my name is Herb. I am 71 years old retired Episcopal Priest. I have had bladder cancer two years. Went through BCG and Chemo and oncologist has shared that she has no better treatments that what I have been given and feel removal is the way to go. Cancer (pappilary carcinoma [sp] is just T1. but comes back quickly after removal. Cancer has returned 3 times so now face removal of bladder. I am trying hard to choose which procedure. My urologist does just two, and I am not good on terms -- but one is the neo-bladder and the other is use of the external bag. He does not do replacement with the internal bag and stoma for he stated he has had more problems with stomas.

I am ready for removalof the bladder but I have been told there is a lot need patient interaction with neo-bladder --- catherization for up to 4 weeks and then peroidic self catherization to remove mucous; then some have incontinence for a time and some have difficulty expelling urine and end up having to catherize 4 times a day. I have been catherized after three reisctions as well as the BCG and Chemo. The catherization for some reason caused a great deal of anxiety and I had to take medication to keep it under control --- my mind over matter simply didn not work. When time was up to remove the catheda on two occasions I removed it myself with doctors ok.

Just wondering if external bag, considering my age, real beyond reason dislike for catheda that neo may be more than I can handle. Sure would like to hear some experiences from those who have or are going through it. Thanks ahead of time need to make decision soon think surgeon will be calling me Monday or Tuesday to start plans for surgery.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne