It is Time to Decide What Procedure For Bladder Removal

13 years 8 months ago #33592 by mmc
Herb,

Glad you have made your decision. I think some things are easier once you have your mind made up as it removes the uncertainty.

I don't have the bag but there are upsides to having the bladder removed. You don't cystos all the time, no more BCG, you won't have to be running to the bathroom or waking up at night....

You can win lots of money betting people in bars on who will have to pee first after drinking beer. :)

Best of luck on your surgery and please do post.

The other good thing about the ileal conduit is the surgery itself is shorter and easier on your body than any of the continent diversions so you should be up and around in less time than you would otherwise.

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 8 months ago #33589 by Jeff F
I had my ilial conduit procedure done in late April, 2008. I have had zero problems with it so far *knock on wood. At age 64 when I had it done, I felt it was the way to go for me. Usually you aren't aware of it. Only time it is a problem is with long drives and the bag fills at the top due to being cut off. I think I found a solution with a cummerbund that holds the bag flat. I change my bag every 4 days. If I wait longer it usually leaks and you never know when or where. But I am an expert at quick changes too and am equipped for it when I go anywhere. If you have any questions, let me know. Best of luck with your choice.

BC diagnosed 01/2007
Cystoscopes and Miomyacin in 2007
R/C ilial conduit 04/27/2008

13 years 8 months ago #33588 by Herb
An ileal conduit is schedule for yours truly and I wanted to say thanks to all of you who have shared their thoughts and feelings, it has sincerely helped. After 6 BCG's and 6 chems the cancer has been resected three times in two years --- so no more magic bullets left in oncology.

I am truly blessed; I lost my Dad and Brother to cancer and they were 57 and 55 years old --- so, for a Robbins Male at 71, I am truly a miracle. I know for those who love me especially my wife Kelly, this is a frightening time and am truly sorry for their having to go through this but everything will be fine.

So once again thanks for being here and I will see you on the other side of surgury when I will join the bagman of the world; God bless

Age 72 had radical 9/11/10 have conduit everything is fine, grateful to be a cancer survivor. Lost Dad and Brother to Cancer both in their 50's.

13 years 8 months ago #33572 by Arthur
Hello to all,
it has been a while since I have been on the site or posted anything. During the time away, I went through various testing, pre-surgical chemo treatments and a lot of waiting. After my cysto on Friday, I just found out the chemo helped with the tumor but didn't help so much with the carcinoma in the muscle or deep tissue of the area that is used for the " neo" attachment.

I am now scheduled for surgery mid September, I have complete confidence in the Dr., his team and the hospital. During my conversation with the doc he stated that I may not be a candidate for the " neo" based on the facts above, however nothing is concrete until he is actually inside and can take a closer look and do some more biopsies.
Unfortunately do to some other issues I may not be a candidate for the Indiana Pouch either, which leaves the Ileal Conduit as the potential resolution.

I have been reading all I can find on the subject, but would like to get some input, pros & cons and what to look forward to if IC is the way forward when I wake up from surgery. Any help, input, guidance and words of encouragement are gratefully appreciated and beneficial.
Hope to hear from you soon
rgds
Arthur

13 years 8 months ago #33556 by Herb
Thanks for sharing about Illeal Conduit I have ruled out neo-bladder, still toying with Indiana Pouch but my urologist I believe has stopped doing Indiana and I will ask him why.

Dr Vincent Ordolano is present urologist he was recommnded by my oncologist Dr. Barbara McAneny who I respect and feel fine about Ordolano he did last resection.

Age 72 had radical 9/11/10 have conduit everything is fine, grateful to be a cancer survivor. Lost Dad and Brother to Cancer both in their 50's.

13 years 8 months ago #33554 by Herb
Dr. Vincent Ordolano in Albuquerque is present urologit and does cystectomies and he was recommended by my Oncolgist Dr. Barbara L. McAneny.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne