Heading back for another hernia repair.

13 years 10 months ago #32426 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Heading back for another hernia repair.
Hope they get it right this time. I know you've done your research but here's a great paper on it.
www.indialaparoscopysurgerysite.com/laparoscopic-incisional-hernia-repair-surgery-india.html
Here's for a quick recovery
pat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 10 months ago #32424 by vgau
Replied by vgau on topic Heading back for another hernia repair.
Mike,
I hope all goes well with your surgery and everything starts working in record time. I'm sure you will do everything in your power to make that happen.

I'll be thinking of you,
Vi

Dx 10/5 Non Invasive Papillary

13 years 10 months ago #32422 by DougG
Replied by DougG on topic Heading back for another hernia repair.
Mike,
Hope all goes as planned! Sending prayers and good wishes your way.
Anita & Doug

Anita
Forum Moderator
Caregiver

13 years 10 months ago - 13 years 10 months ago #32421 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic Heading back for another hernia repair.
Nancy,

Yes, I know about the gum. Did that last time also but to no avail. I even talked them into letting me eat Italian Ice while I had the NG tube in since it was just going to get sucked back out anyway. I figured the more I stimulated the salivary glands and the more I chewed, the sooner the intestines would kick in.

I know about the walking and made quite a name for myslef last time. I think I broke some record or something and I'd also help people with bigger surgeries walk farther when I saw them in the halls. I know about epidural reducing the risk as well. Given that I have had SUCH a problem with this, I have been studying it like crazy. :)

Given that it drives my daughter crazy when she sees me with this alien type thing poking my shirt out, I figured I had to get it fixed. I also don't want it to get worse and it has started to.

Since it doesn't hurt, I just kind of waited until finishing up a couple of client deals instead of getting it fixed right away. Rather than do what we call (in the consulting industry) "bench work" it seemed like surgery was actually the more fun option between the two. :D

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

13 years 10 months ago #32420 by Nix
Replied by Nix on topic Heading back for another hernia repair.
Good Luck, Mike. You are certainly a great "role model". You handle everything with such a great outlook. As unpleasant as this procedure is you still find some humor :laugh:
Bring as I have never been in your situation, I can only repeat what I have read from Patricia "chew gum" to wake up the intestines- which I am sure you already know.
Please keep us informed - you have a lot of admirers out here ;)

Nancy

Nancy S
Ta CIS
dx Ta 11/06
dx Ta CIS 10/07

13 years 10 months ago #32419 by mmc
Back in November, I got three incisional hernias repaired along with getting the kink out of my small intestine where they removed the section for my neobladder. Well, the intestines are doing great ever since (knock wood).

However, I did have one of the three hernias come back and I'm in between clients now at work so I am off to the hospital to get it fixed.

Since they hope to not be messing with intestines (except checking for adhesions at the hernia location) I have requested epidural instead of general and we're going to try for laperoscopy instead of full open.

They have some plactic mesh they can use now with screws to attach it to the muscle and then in 6-8 weeks the screws dissolve. Cool!

Anyway, already told them NO FOLEY. I will bring my own condom catheters to the party. Not going to run into THAT problem again with the clogged Foley stretching my neo to 1000cc. I figured if they screwed it up again I'd wind up with a neo that requires emptying once a week. Not a pretty site would I be! :O

If all goes according to plan, I will be operated on tomorrow and home on Friday. Every darn time I get put out for surgery it just takes forever for my intestines to wake up. Hoping this won't be another one of those!!!!

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne