As time goes by

14 years 8 months ago #27312 by StarraeAday1
Replied by StarraeAday1 on topic As time goes by
Hi Cynthia and everyone,

I was DX'ed Monday Aug. 3 with invasive BC and I am going today to find out what steps I need to put in place to fight this monster. I am SCARED,SCARED, SCARED but coming here and reading that you all are surviving this is giving me hope. Will be checking in soon.

Lynn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 years 8 months ago #27310 by sydelle
Replied by sydelle on topic As time goes by
Cynthia, thank you SO much....you are my role model, as a caretaker for my husband. I push us to enjoy every sqeezable moment of life, THANKS sydelle

14 years 8 months ago #27308 by Cynthia
Replied by Cynthia on topic As time goes by
Melodie,

Karen Greene who is on our board of directors just celebrated her ninth year with an Indiana. By the way she was stage IV.....

Cynthia Kinsella
T2 g3 CIS 8/04
Clinical Trial
Chemotherapy & Radiation 10/04-12/04
Chemotherapy 3/05-5/05
BCG 9/05-1-06
RC w/umbilical Indiana pouch 5/06
Left Nephrectomy 1/09
President American Bladder Cancer Society

14 years 8 months ago #27307 by Melodie
Replied by Melodie on topic As time goes by
Cynthia,

Good comments....enjoyed readying your thoughts. Congrats! on being here with us to share your story. I hope I can add similar words three years from now. I wish those with 10 plus years would sometimes show up on this forum ...would make us feel better. I am always wondering who has lived the most years with an Indy Pouch.

Funny, but I never get edgy when I go in for my checkups...never have...almost like I don't expect any bad results. I'm not sure why exactly except to say I think God spared my life for a reason and I have yet to accomplish my mission. And although, all my checkups have been good, I have had to fight off bladder stones but if my story doesn't get any rockier :laugh: than that, I can consider myself lucky.

Melodie, Indy Pouch, U.W.Medical Center, Seattle, Dr. Paul H. Lange & Jonathan L. Wright

14 years 8 months ago #27306 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic As time goes by
Funny...its my birthday that i try to forget and usually manage until one of my brothers calls to remind me that i'm older than they are. I never could remember dates but i think my 7th anniversary from diagnosis is somewhere in August also......i've forgotten:S
i'm forgetting a lot aren't i?:blink:
Pat

14 years 8 months ago #27305 by Cynthia
As time goes by was created by Cynthia
More than once on this forum and in conversation with the newly diagnosed this question has came up. How do you ever learn to live with the uncertainties that a cancer diagnosis brings? Or cancer has taken over my thoughts and my life does it ever end?

I guess the best answer I can give anyone is that yesterday was August 8th, so …….and……. my husband reminded me that August 6th was the five year anniversary of my bladder cancer dx. The day the surgeon called Ed in the surgical waiting room and said the words that changed our lives forever.” Its bladder cancer and looks invasive to me.”

Wow I forgot how could I forget? How wonderful once again my birthday is the one date I will never forget.

Now I will not tell you that it has been easy and that when my checkups come that I don’t hold my breath waiting to hear the all clear. But I can tell you that my cancer no longer defines my life. My diversion has become such a normal part of my life that I really don’t think about it being different any longer; it is just part of me being me. Hair grows back, incisions heal and the mind learns to deal with the unthinkable. We have learned that our imperfect life still allows us to be happy and productive, as well as look forward to the future even knowing how tenuous it may be.

As for the uncertainty life has taught me that it is that for all of us, some just have not been slapped in the face and been reminded yet.

So here is to five years of falling down and getting up, bending but not breaking and going forward sometimes in the dark, happy anniversary to us.

Cynthia Kinsella
T2 g3 CIS 8/04
Clinical Trial
Chemotherapy & Radiation 10/04-12/04
Chemotherapy 3/05-5/05
BCG 9/05-1-06
RC w/umbilical Indiana pouch 5/06
Left Nephrectomy 1/09
President American Bladder Cancer Society

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne