14 years 9 months ago #27043 by mare1012
Replied by mare1012 on topic New member
Lorrie: How kind of you to welcome me. I know your husband is coming to the end of his journey and I add my prayers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 years 9 months ago #27042 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic New member
Glad you found us! It's great that you are at MD Anderson! Certainly a top notch place to be treated for bladder cancer.

Prior to my having stage 2 bladder cancer, I did a lot of research on the subject. I got a neobladder, but if I were a woman, I would have opted for Indiana pouch as my first option. Women have a shorter urethra, which can cause some issues in addition to a few other complications.

Seems to be a lot more complications with neobladder for women than there is for men.

Another important point that you want to raise with your surgeon is that you want nerve sparing surgery. This is important for women (not just men getting prostate removal) for post surgery sexual function.

I am sure a number of the ladies will chime in about their diversionary options. You are in good hands at MD Anderson so hopefully that will put your mind at ease somewhat.

No matter what option you choose, keep in mind that the surgeons can't make the call for sure until they are in there and see how things look. From my questions about this previously, it seems that no matter the option, most people are pretty happy with what they got. It's much scarier going into this whole thing than it is to live with it afterwards.

Best of luck in your surgery!

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

14 years 9 months ago #27040 by bobmac2
Replied by bobmac2 on topic New member
Welcome- sorry to meet you under these circumsances. You will find this site to be invaluable. No matter what you need, you will find it here.Regards, Lorrie

14 years 9 months ago #27039 by mare1012
New member was created by mare1012
Hi! I am a 51 year old female with Stage III bladder cancer. I was first diagnosed in March 2009 and have the good fortune to live in Houston, so am being treated at MD Anderson.

I have just finished 4 courses of MVAC chemo and come out from that experience pretty strong. My RC is scheduled for Aug 12th and I am struggling with the decision as to the type of reconstruction to have.

This site has been invaluable as I explore options. I am sure I am going to rely on everyone here as I move through these next few months.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne