14 years 9 months ago #27070 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic New member
I'm surprised they didn't give latex-free bags!!!! :(

www.rdmedicalonline.com/cgi-bin/medicalshop/HTP3703.html?mv_pc=rdmed

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 years 9 months ago #27068 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic New member
Well maybe quicker healing with the external...they still cut just not as much and complications can be the same with all of the diversions. If you have an allergy to latex at all like i do the outside bag is tortuous. Even with the Indiana you have to wear an external bag for a few weeks and i was red, itchy, pouring on the stoma powder...yuk....and found out that i have approximatly l0 thumbs when it came to changing a leaky bag...they seem to want to do that. oK ILEALS don't come after me...its just my experience!! I'm not advocating anything!!! But i could wear a bikini with my Indiana..HA! You probably wouldn't want to look but HEY i could!:P
Pat

14 years 9 months ago #27067 by mare1012
Replied by mare1012 on topic New member
Pat: It is funny what helps. One of the reasons I think about the external pouch is the quicker healing and the sense that with it, no one would probably ever have to wait for me to go to the bathroom. Your comment about outlasting your dining friends (having a pouch) made me smile!

14 years 9 months ago #27066 by mare1012
Replied by mare1012 on topic New member
Webs: I am three weeks before surgery (with a week and a half vacation thrown in between!) and I am at the point that I NEED graphic :) Thanks so much for responding. I would love to hear from women with a great experience with the neobladder.

I am trying to run my cancer gauntlet with the idea that no matter what happens I have no regrets. I am heartened by the general feeling that most people are happy with the diversion they choose and learn to accomodate the down side of whatever they have chosen. But... it seems to me this decision could be the one area where I stumble.

Yikes.

14 years 9 months ago #27060 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic New member
Just one little misnomer there Melodie......the first #1 surgeon who did my second TURB and i have no doubt saved my life at MSK was the only surgeon who recommended the neobladder and refused to do the Indiana. When i asked him for references (before all the privacy laws went into effect) of successful FEMALE neo's I did not get one phone call. I subsequently did my research primarily of uro/surgeons who do mostly females...one of them from USC/NOrris was willing to do either...and gave me a list of l3 females all with neos....I called them all. I found one in tears, one husband who said how wonderful it was and he cathed his wife for her all day long, and on and on...actually i found one that was happy. That kind of made my mind really up! Dr. Gill at The Cleveland Clinic, the surgeon at Indiana U (Clairion Health Care systems), and the others all agreed that the Indiana was a better choice for a female as all the kinks are not quite worked out for the female with the neo . I've kind of decided from what i've been reading that its kind of like when women have a hysterectomy and their bladder prolapses and well..you've seen all the advertisements out there for leaking bladders..I think the same thing happens with the neo along with the fact that our urethra is shorter. Anyway i certainly can go out to dinner with my female friends and be the only one who doesn't have to hit the restroom before i leave!!:woohoo: How wierd is that?? Pat

14 years 9 months ago - 14 years 9 months ago #27057 by Webs
Replied by Webs on topic New member
Dear Transition,

Just thought I'd chime in with my two cents worth. You will find there are women very happy with their Neo's. I have a Neo and am not happy with it for the following reasons. Please be aware that some of this is graphic.

1. I am not fully continent. What that means is that I leak, some days more than others. I also can not fully empty. Which means that I also have to catheterize. I do not let this stop me and am very active, but it does take a mental tole. By the way diapers make your butt look flat so I tend to wear a lot of loose skirts.:unsure: :laugh:

2. Bathrooms are horrible. The stand and hover does not work for me because I am not able to release urine at that angle. So most times I have to catheterize when I am out and about. This works well most times, but standing is when I have a hard time controlling. If I don't cath fast enough I need to use the extra clothes I keep in the over sized purse that I am forced to carry. Plus most public bathrooms here in CA are not as clean as I would wish. :S

I am sorry if this is more information than you wanted, but I felt it was important to share.

3. Intercourse is no longer the spontaneous, leisurely past time that it used to be. I have to plan ahead, take a shower, catheterize, and hope I am done before my bladder fills again. Needless to say this has caused issues that me and my partner are still working through. :blush:

I can tell that you are leaning towards the Indy and wish you luck and success. Please keep in mind that I know there are many women that are happy with their Neo and I am happy for them. I just wish that I could go back in time, and do the research I should have done.:P :silly: :woohoo:

Best of luck

Webs

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne