Questions from a BC beginner.....

15 years 2 weeks ago #25229 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Questions from a BC beginner.....
TR....it is possible to get second opinions or even surgery out of town when you have a complicated case or perhaps just want the best of the best in bladder cancer. Follow up can be done close to home. The larger cancer and Urology centers probably have 60% of their patients from out of town.
JC is with a very good uro who probably would not have a problem with him getting another opinion or even doing surgery somewhere else should it come to that.
I'm so sorry to hear your father lost his battle with this very sneaky cancer.
Pat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 2 weeks ago #25220 by TR1492
Replied by TR1492 on topic Questions from a BC beginner.....
John,

I am originally from Pittsburgh and my father recently passed away from Bladder cancer in the area. Everyone on the board is right about JH and Cleveland Clinic. Since my dad was treated in Pittsburgh, however, I wanted to let you know who his doctors were and that we were happy with them. My father was treated at AGH.

His urologist/surgeon was suggested to him by a physician in the area after the initial problem was discovered by a local urologist. Dr. Jeffrey Cohen was very good and had my father's complete trust. He was straight with him and was very good in delivering results/news etc.

His oncologist was Dr. Dilabh Monga. She was extremely caring and everyone in the office was just wonderful. She even made time to call me (I live in NC) and explain the diagnosis/prognosis when the cancer invaded my father's bones.

Again - like everyone else has said - you have very good options in Cleveland and in MD - but I wanted you to know about my dad's team so you had another option in Pittsburgh. Some people - like my dad - choose to stay closer to home for treatment.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any questions.

T.R.

15 years 2 weeks ago #25210 by mikekc2kc
Replied by mikekc2kc on topic Questions from a BC beginner.....
Thanks for the encouragement... I believe that humor is a large part of my arsenal in this struggle.

15 years 3 weeks ago - 15 years 3 weeks ago #25118 by GKLINE
Replied by GKLINE on topic Questions from a BC beginner.....
I like the LOL! You certainly have the right attitude for this club. I used to think that LOL meant "Lots of Luck".
After having had 2 Cystoscope robotic search and destroy missions and then the "Remove and Replace" (as we car guys call it) I know where you are.
Keep in contact with this group. They know what they are talking about! Much more than this writer.
It is important to know that this Cancer can be beat and that good attitude is all important for recovery.
We are with you.
George

Light a man a fire and he is warm for an evening.
Light a man ON fire and he's warm forever.

08/08/08...RC neo bladder
09/09/09...New Hip
=
New Man! [/size]

15 years 3 weeks ago #25023 by mikekc2kc
Replied by mikekc2kc on topic Questions from a BC beginner.....
It seems that my bladder is very disappointed with the treatment so far, and has joined up with my urethra to form a complaint committee. We have had meetings, and I am sorry to say that I had to play the "boss" card. I told them to "Man up", and get with the program, or they are out of here...... LOL

15 years 3 weeks ago #25018 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Questions from a BC beginner.....
Yep...what it means is that Hopkins has state of the art pathology whereas many places do not...which is why i am such a harpy on institutions and surgeons who get enough tissue for staging.
Your doc is doing the right thing with another TURB...its hard enough with one tumor to get all the margins and prevent seeding. I can't imagine what your poor bladder is going through.:S
Pat

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne