Full of Anxiety....Trying to Stay Positive

13 years 2 weeks ago #37356 by mmc
Lilbit,

If there is one thing that is critical when getting a cystectomy, it is getting to the best place possible with a doctor who performs your preferred diversion multiple times a week. Johns Hopkins has already been mentioned. Study after study (and experience of some members on this site) shows that top bladder cancer surgeons who perform 50 or more a year of these surgeries (and diversions) have better patient outcomes.

Liking your doctor is one thing but that's not what this is about.

Ask any doctor who does radical cystectomies what they think about radiation treatment. I had already researched myself and ruled that out as an option before I even have my recurrence. Radiation makes the RC surgery much more difficult for the doctor and can limit your options for diversions. I did ask my surgeon about it during one of my follow ups because someone else had asked about it here.

Indiana pouch seems to be the preferred option for women. There is a very high rate of complication for neobladders in women.

Depending on the depth of the T2, chemo prior may be in order. If everything looks good after the surgery, often there is no chemo. If there is lymph node involvement, that's a different story regarding chemo post surgery. My T2 was just barely into the muscle so I had no chemo prior or post surgery and I'm going on 2.5 years cancer free since my cystectomy.

Before you start any chemo, I'd highly recommend getting to John's Hopkins for a 2nd opinion.

As has been said by others, no question is too personal here. I publish my age and bladder cancer history in my signature on my posts. :)

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 2 weeks ago #37345 by dukel
Replied by dukel on topic Full of Anxiety....Trying to Stay Positive
Lilbit4; Welcome, but sorry you have a need to be here. We are all full of anxiety when we are diagnosed. It is a very scary time. At this point the best thing you can do is study and gain as much knowledge as possible about bladder cancer and options. This site can help with both. The good news is you have found this site and by reading you will learn there is life after being diagnosed with bladder cancer. I have always felt that telling loved ones is one of the most difficult things there is. But it can also be a great weight off ones shoulders. It will turn out alright.
Wishing you the very best.
Duke

13 years 2 weeks ago #37340 by Lynda
Replied by Lynda on topic Full of Anxiety....Trying to Stay Positive
lilbit4 -

Nothing is banned from asking me. Not on this forum. I was 44 when I had my RC with Indy. My first Uro didn't do the procedure and he referred me to another health care system who had a Uro Dr. who was much younger and had more experience in "modern" therapies for BC. I was ready with the first Uro for an external bag and stoma(no offense to anyone who has this now). He said, "you are too young for that. I want you to go th this other Uro and if you still want the external appliance, then I will do it". I'm very happy that he made me do some research on my options. Information to the public is somewhat lacking in BC options unless you dig really really hard. I am coming up on my 1 year diagnosis checkup and somewhat nervous, but I know the people here will help to see me thru.

I know that you want the best for your son without distractions, but I think he will be hurt that you didn't tell him. He will want to help and this will give you a chance to voice your wishes. Give him something to do on your research. He will look on his own anyway, and what a bonding experience and a way for him to feel closer to you and allay some of his fears for you. The thought that "mom is sick" is very scary to any child, no matter how old we get.

Lynda

Lynda

3 years UTIs
Indiana Pouch - July 2010
Pulmonary Met. - May 2011
Chemo started June 2011

13 years 2 weeks ago #37339 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Full of Anxiety....Trying to Stay Positive
So sorry that you have to be here....so glad that you found us!!

NOW is the time for you to step back and make some decisions. My uro told me that if it ever came to a recommendation for an RC, (which, thank goodness it hasn't) he would INSIST that I get a second opinion.

Being in Delaware, you are close to Baltimore...Johns Hopkins would be a great place to ask for a consult and second opinion. The best that could happen is that they would agree with your uro. The other best would that they might have different recommendations from which to choose.

IF you are facing an RC, you want to be sure that you are in the very best place for it, with a uro who does MANY MANY MANY of these and who can tailor the surgery to your needs. It would give me pause if the Indiana were not considered/discussed. Sometimes there are good reasons why this might not be an option. Chemo is also not something to be taken lightly.

At this point you do have time to get all the ducks in order. You need to ask the hard questions of your uro, including how many RC's she does in a year and what options might be available to you. AND a second opinion at a center that has real expertise in bladder cancer treatment is a must.

Good luck to you!

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

13 years 2 weeks ago #37337 by jimswife
Replied by jimswife on topic Full of Anxiety....Trying to Stay Positive
Hi, Lilbit, no question here is too personal and if it is for one person it will not be for someone else. This forum is great for suppot and information gathering as there are many people here who have been there and done all that. Welcome just sorry you have to join us.

Good luck with all of your journey.

13 years 2 weeks ago #37334 by LilBit4
Replied by LilBit4 on topic Full of Anxiety....Trying to Stay Positive
Hello Lynda,

I cannot express the feeling of thankfulness for your kind reply. I live in Delaware and my husband, who is 76 is a surgical assistant and is still working. He knows my urologist and feels she is a good choice for this, however I have not yet mentioned to my husband about the Indiana pouch and what I have been reading here on this forum. We had our first child, a true gift from God, when I was 42. Our son just graduated college last May and is the "sunshine of our lives". I have not shared the latest news with him....I do not want him to worry! He is still at home and has his own business...trying to save for a home of his own.
:)

May I ask how young you were when you had the surgery for the Indiana Pouch? If I ever ask too personal of a question, please let me know. Again, thank you so very much for posting!

I shall keep all of you in my thoughts and prayers. WOW, God is going to be quite busy with my prayer list now!

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne