Full of Anxiety....Trying to Stay Positive

12 years 11 months ago #37700 by dukel
Replied by dukel on topic Full of Anxiety....Trying to Stay Positive
LilBit4, A couple things i found out from having surgeries and chemo over the last 20yrs is a person is a lot tougher then we think we are, and the human body can withstand a great deal more then one would think. I hope you do not have to test that theory, but if you do, know that you will do just fine.
Wishing you the best.
Duke

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 11 months ago #37699 by LilBit4
Replied by LilBit4 on topic Full of Anxiety....Trying to Stay Positive
Patricia...will definitely let my oncologist know to confer with Dr. Schoenberg! I put Dr. S's name and address on several pages of the oncologist's paperwork. :)

I would be thrilled to weigh 124! The highest I have ever weighed was 113 and that was back when I was in my early 20's! I usually stay around 105-107. As I mentioned before I am very petite! My goal is to gain as much as I can, but it is difficult as I have a very high metabolism! :silly: Dr. S said he understood as he has always been slender, however he did say he would like to see me put on as much weight as possible!
Soooo, hot fudge sundaes, milkshakes, cookies, Starbucks (yummy)here I come!! :lol:

12 years 11 months ago #37696 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Full of Anxiety....Trying to Stay Positive
lilbit....with all confidence inform your oncologist to confer with Dr. Schoenberg...he'll do it.
As for added poundage i had to do the same thing and it was really fun....donuts, starbucks venti's Mocha with extra syrup, hot fudge sundaes...i put on 20 lbs. Exactly what i lost after cystectomy plus a bit more. It wasn't as easy to gain weight after surgery as your appetite is not as great and meals just get smaller to allow the shorter bowel to digest. I'm back up to 124 now which is fine but i do have to supplement with Brent & Sams chocolate chip cookies to maintain that. :laugh: :dry:
pat

12 years 11 months ago #37680 by LilBit4
Replied by LilBit4 on topic Full of Anxiety....Trying to Stay Positive
Motomike, Herb, Patricia, BillM and anyone I may have missed...YOU ARE MY ANGELS!!!

Thank you so much for taking time to post and give me reassurance that I too can get thru this! Right now I am on a mission to GAIN weight! A mission which is very difficult! *lol* I have always been petite, but healthy and very active. However, knowing I will lose weight, I MUST put on some pounds or they will not be able to find me under my very fashionable hospital gown!

Tomorrow is my consult with my oncologist. I am anxious to hear if he will recommend what Dr. Schoenberg at Hopkins recommended for my chemo treatments prior to RC.

With God, family and all of you beside me, I WILL GET THRU this!
Thanks so much!

12 years 11 months ago #37679 by Herb
LilBit (Little Bit)
I am 72 year old still 'kind' of active just a little slower. Fought bladder cancer for two years had 3 resections, 6 BCG's and 6 Chemos and when there was no majic bullets left for me adios to bladder and prostate 9which ended up having cancer as well) and since 9/11/10 I am a Bagman, had RC and Conduit.

Not even a year yet and I do everything I did before plus I now sleep through the night which I have not done in a decade.

Operation is major but if there are no complications you out recuperating in less than two weeks and it took me about 4- 6 months to work out the kinks.

I was frightened to death but kept stiff upper lip because loved ones are ones who have toughest time. I am sorry you have to join us but glad you found us. You are definately not alone Herb†

Age 72 had radical 9/11/10 have conduit everything is fine, grateful to be a cancer survivor. Lost Dad and Brother to Cancer both in their 50's.

12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #37674 by BillM
Replied by BillM on topic Full of Anxiety....Trying to Stay Positive
Hi LILBIT,

I had my chemo before surgery and looking at the big picture, I think it was better than going through it after surgery. It wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. Never really got sick or anything like the horror stories out there. I ended up putting on 20 lbs and got caught up on about 20 years of missed sleep. Some of the minuses were not that bad, mild bone pain, fatigue, some irritability on the third day after treatment and some weird food cravings. I think the mind set for the first treatment set the tone for the whole chemo process. If you have more questions just ask, and stay strong. If Pat recommends a doctor, check them out!

Bill

5.24.10 Final staging T2G3 7.28.10 Started Gemcitabine, Cisplatin neoadjunctive chemotherapy
11.2.10 RC with NEO 11.18.11 First year CT shows possible liver tumor
12.8.11 Confirmation of TCC BC mets to the liver 6.27.12 Final round of Dose Dense MVAC
7.26.12 Final scans showed no tumor or no...

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne