Urethral Stricture

16 years 10 months ago #6069 by Zachary
Replied by Zachary on topic Urethral Stricture
Hello Vin,

I had my RC surgery a year ago this week (June 23rd) at USC/Norris by Dr. John Stein. He suggested a neobladder--he has tremendous success with them--and I went with that.

You might want to read Dan's story about choosing a cystectomy even though his cancer was T1G3 and CIS. It's an interesting story, and this is a guy who really did his homework. He could have avoided the RC, but went ahead with it after talking with Dr. Stein.

I didn't have much of a choice, since mine was T3 and grade 4, but I can say that my life has pretty much returned to normal after less than a year. It took a bit of time to get used to things at first, but I'm doing really well now.

Oops, almost forgot the link for Dan's story:
blcwebcafe.org/stories/dan.asp

Each of us here has been dealt a hand that there are no really wonderful solutions for, and I don't envy anyone making a decision like you're facing. But I have to say that in spite of how horrible such a procedure sounds, a cystectomy isn't such an awful thing to live with. I have 100% continence in the daytime, and if you look in the "Men's" section of the forum you'll see I have an artificial sphincter that works for me at night.

You may qualify for nerve-sparing surgery, so you can have an erection afterwards. I didn't qualify, but if you'll read
this you'll see there are solutions to most of the issues.

My dinner is ready, but I'm sure we'll talk more later.

Zach

"Standing on my Head"---my chemo journal
T3a Grade 4 N+M0
RC at USC/Norris June 23, 2006 by Dr. John Stein

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 10 months ago #6068 by wsilberstein
Replied by wsilberstein on topic Urethral Stricture
Hi Vin,
I don't think urethral strictures are that common, and since I had urethritis from the Mitomycin, I know how I got mine. They can occur with repeat instrumentation, but so far I've yet to hear from anyone else in this group who's had one. I think you can bet you don't have a stricture if your urologist hasn't said anything.
I'm in Long Island, NY, not too far from NY City if I needed to go there, but I'd rather not take such a long trip for cystos. I've been recommended to a urologist in Manhasset. He works out of North Shore University Hospital, which I'm on staff at.

-Warren
TaG3 + CIS 12/2000. TURB + Mitomycin C (No BCG)
Urethral stricture, urethroplasty 10/2009
CIS 11/2010 treated with BCG. CIS 5/2012 treated with BCG/interferon
T1G3 1/2013. Radical Cystectomy 3/5/2013, No invasive cancer. CIS in right ureter.
Incontinent. AUS implant 2/2014. AUS explant 5/2014
Pediatrician

16 years 10 months ago #6066 by pweization
Replied by pweization on topic Urethral Stricture
Zach,
Which diversion did you go with? I'm really interested to learn the ups and downs of cystectomy. My diagnosis is not a great one although I seem to be beating it so far. If one more cysto shows anything I'll be going with cystectomy. I'm too young to chance more treatments and TURBs as with each one your chances of progression and recurrence increases exponentially.
-Vin

34 yr old male
diagnosed 10/13/06
T1G3 CIS

16 years 10 months ago #6065 by pweization
Replied by pweization on topic Urethral Stricture
Warren,
He hasn't mentioned any unusual urethral characteristics yet. I really trust his eye. He's the second Uro I've had. I had to oust the first one for his screwed up attempt at a TURB. What part of the country are you in?
-Vin

34 yr old male
diagnosed 10/13/06
T1G3 CIS

16 years 10 months ago #6058 by wsilberstein
Replied by wsilberstein on topic Urethral Stricture
Hi Vin,
Your urologist would have to know if you have a stricture. He'd see the stricture on his way in. He couldn't pass the cystoscope without dilating it unless he's an idiot who plows through with the scope to open it and hasn't told you.

Zachary,
A positive outlook always helps. The truth is, I didn't worry much between cystos, but this last thing with the stricture and the need to change urologists has me in a bit of an emotional turmoil. That's how a guy who's been cancer free for 6½ years managed to find his way into a cancer support group.

-Warren
TaG3 + CIS 12/2000. TURB + Mitomycin C (No BCG)
Urethral stricture, urethroplasty 10/2009
CIS 11/2010 treated with BCG. CIS 5/2012 treated with BCG/interferon
T1G3 1/2013. Radical Cystectomy 3/5/2013, No invasive cancer. CIS in right ureter.
Incontinent. AUS implant 2/2014. AUS explant 5/2014
Pediatrician

16 years 10 months ago #6055 by Zachary
Replied by Zachary on topic Urethral Stricture
Wow...

You may find this surprising, but sometimes when I read what you "superficial" folks have to go through with multiple turbs and scopes and BCGs, it makes me almost glad that in my "invasive" situation everything was taken out after just one turb and one cytoscopy.

I think you definitely have it rougher than I did. It sounds odd, but when I read other people's posts I feel very fortunate.

"Standing on my Head"---my chemo journal
T3a Grade 4 N+M0
RC at USC/Norris June 23, 2006 by Dr. John Stein

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne