BCG failed... whats next?

1 week 4 days ago #62189 by Shepman
Replied by Shepman on topic BCG failed... whats next?
Thanks for the feedback.  That helped. 

The plan is to do another surgery in 2-4 weeks to confirm margins and then another round of chemo but this time with  Gemcitabine+Docetaxel and go from there.  I like the plan.  Not rushing into anything. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 week 6 days ago #62187 by joea73
Replied by joea73 on topic BCG failed... whats next?
Hi Shepman,

Until recently, there were no drug/treatment available for those tumors which did not respond to BCG treatment.  There was one FDA approved drug Valrubicin, but it was approve over 20 years ago and efficacy was not so good, so I do not think it is being offered.   Often single chemotherapy drug such as mitomycin, gemcitabine was used for BCG unresponsive.  But now there are four FDA drugs are available for BCG unresponsive, and several drug/treatment are in later phase of clinical trial.

Pembrolizumab (Keytruda) alone                Checkpoint Inhibitor                Intravenous              FDA approved 

Gemcitabine+Docetaxel   Existing drugs    Intravesical               Did not require FDA approval

Nadofaragene (Adstiladrin)                          Gene Therapy Secreting IFN   Intravesical               FDA approved   

Anctiva + BCG                                                 IL15 Superagonist  +BCG          Intravesical               FDA approved   

Still on clinical trial   

TLD-1433                         Photodynamic Therapy            Intravesical+Laser  Phase 2B                

TAR-200                          Device to secrete chemo            Intravesical               Phase 2                 

Cretostimogene             Oncolytic Immunotherapy      Intravesical               Phase 3                      
Cretosmitogene + Pembro  Oncolytic Immunotherapy   Intravesical/Intravenous   Phase 2     

Pembrolizumab +BCG  BCG+ immunotherapy          Intravesical/Intravenous Phase 3       
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shepman

1 week 6 days ago - 1 week 6 days ago #62186 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic BCG failed... whats next?
Shepman,

Welcome. We are simply sorry for the situation. Yes, you do have some serious and fairly quick decisions to make. First, many would encourage you to get a second opinion. If you do, you want to get to a place that sees a LOT of bladder cancer. Maybe a teaching hospital or research hospital. I am saying someplace like M.D. Anderson, Sloan Kettering, John Hopkins, Cleveland Clinic, Northwestern U, USC etc. A second opinion often corroborates what your first URO sees but, it is fresh eyes and can lead to alternative ideas.

Your own URO is probably aware of some other agents that are being used. From Joea73's research on our own board see:  A Randomized Phase III Trial of Intravesical BCG versus Intravesical Docetaxel and Gemcitabine Treatment in BCG Naive Non-Muscle Invasive Bladder Cancer (The BRIDGE Trial) - NCI

Also:  BCG treatments - Bladder Cancer Support Forum

Sometimes, interferon is added to BCG. I haven't read much about the past few years as showing a lot of success. 

Just be sure to choose a path that still leads to life. If it does come to a cystectomy, MANY from this board will tell you they lead very productive leads with few restrictions. Here is a link with good pro's and con's from the Cleveland Clinic:  Urinary Diversion: What Is It, Types & Surgery Options (clevelandclinic.org)

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shepman

2 weeks 7 minutes ago #62185 by Shepman
BCG failed... whats next? was created by Shepman
Diagnosed Summer 2023.   Had 2 surgeries to remove tumors. Then had 6 weeks of BCG.  Then off a bit.  Then 3 weeks of BCG.  Had a scope and the doctor didn't like a few spots.  Just had 3rd surgery to biopsy the spots.  2 of 3 came back with my hi-grade cancer.  I get the catheter out tomorrow.  

My team of urologists are chatting this week but I think they are leaning toward removing the entire bladder.  Good move?  I'm only 55.  Get a second opinion?  Other options people have tried?

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne