Do I really need a urodynamic test?

2 weeks 11 hours ago #62184 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Do I really need a urodynamic test?
mikePZO,

Welcome. Nothing says you HAVE to finish any protocol of BCG. There are MANY past posters that have had to quit somewhere early, mid and late because of side effects. Some also have reduced dosage of 1/2, 1/3, 1/4 even 1/10 that seems to help. Destroying the bladder in the process is NOT the answer. It is also likely you have stimulated a remission in your cancer. The important part is keeping the scopes and the urinalysis along with it (although the cytology often gives false positives, but that is also why the scopes are used in conjunction).

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 weeks 1 day ago - 2 weeks 1 day ago #62181 by mikePzo
Do I really need a urodynamic test? was created by mikePzo
Hi folks

I suspended my BCG therapy at dose number 15 because of LUTS (lower urinary tract symptoms), specifically - pain/discomfort when urinating and associated urgency and frequency. This has been going on for months. The pain is intermittent but requires a tramadol and a lie down with a hot water bottle. I need to take a pee 5-10 times a night, so not much quality sleep.

My urologist is proposing urodynamic tests to investigate it but I’m not happy about this. I believe the intravesical treatments (i.e., a
tube inserted into the urethra – hope I got the terminology right) are partly responsible for my symptoms. I think this because the symptoms were slowly calming down and then I had a cystoscopy (no BCG involved) and it sparked off the symptoms
again, back to square one. I know that if I want to save my bladder, I will need to undergo cystoscopies, but urodynamic testing?

I can see that measuring bladder capacity, flow rate, trigger point for the afferent nerves and so on provides potentially useful data, but I don’t understand how it can be used to diagnose a specific condition or help me to manage my symptoms. I’d rather try different medications to see which, if any, works and explore changes to my lifestyle, diet and exercises to see what helps. I can’t discuss this properly with my urologist because I’m a Brit living in France with poor French and besides, the urology unit is in a small hospital and he’s the only urologist there and he is incredibly busy. I’m lucky if I get a rushed 5 minutes with him in a meeting, and I don’t
get many meetings. I’d be grateful for your thoughts.

nb if I don't reply it's because I haven't been able to log in again. I'm having trouble with this site, something to do with cookie
settings apparently

Brit living in France. Diagnosed with Grade 3 papillary urothelial tumor, stage pTa in 2021. Currently being treated with 3 year course of BCG

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne