TheraCys Shortage?

12 years 5 days ago #41876 by warrentug
Replied by warrentug on topic TheraCys Shortage?
When I started on my BCG treatment back on May 9th I had to wait a few days because they couldn't get any. I'm not sure if that was because of a shortage or because my doctor had just left a large practice to start out on his own and I was his first patient to need BCG.

Like HLamb, I also had a ton of "Stuff" come out but usally I was o.k. in a couple days, they did make me sit out a treatment to heal up. Hopefully they will have what you need for your 6th go-around, I know I didn't like waiting to hear if it was a go or no go.
Good Luck.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 5 days ago #41872 by HLamb88937
Replied by HLamb88937 on topic TheraCys Shortage?
As far as I know there is no shortage of BCG. I just finished 6 rounds and there was no shortage. However, the shortage of Mitomyicin is very severe. I might have gotten the last of it. The company now says that they have just started producing again and recently produced around 1000 vials. During the time of the Bush administration the company was told to put a cap on the price as it was too expensive. They did, but the price of the ingredients kept rising so they stopped producing it...that is until now. The only place we could find mitomyicin (and it was the last lot) was from the CIGNA pharmacy warehouse. After this round of 8 instillations of mitomyicin I am going back to BCG for maintenance as the statistics for non reoccurence and non progression are a lot better for BCG. While on BCG I had a cornucopia of various things come out in my urine. Each instillation produced a different variety of things from the previous...but in the end every test for cancer was negative...what more could I want.

12 years 5 days ago #41870 by CatherineH
Replied by CatherineH on topic TheraCys Shortage?
Just wanted to say hello and welcome to the site. It's frustrating to receive such conflicting information about something as important as your BCG treatments.

I hope your treatment is not interrupted by this news. Hopefully they will get their supplies (and stories) straightened out soon.

Best wishes... Catherine

TURBT 1/21/10 at age 55
Dx: T2aN0M0 Primary Bladder Adenocarcinoma
Partial Cystectomy 2/25/10
Vanderbilt Medical Center
Nashville, TN

12 years 5 days ago #41869 by globalguy
TheraCys Shortage? was created by globalguy
Hello All. I'm new to this web site and am just beginning to find my way around.

I will be completing my BCG treatments next week with my sixth scheduled for Thursday. I was notified that my hospital (Mass General) may not have TheraCys available due to a shortage. I've contacted Sanofi-Pasteur and was told there is no shortage.

So, has anybody out there been given this message from their hospital? I really want this over and don't want a delay in my next surgery due to an availability issue.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Joe P

Diagnosed: 01/2012 - TCC CIS
All Clear: 06/2012
Diagnosed (Again): 02/04/2013 - TCC CIS
All Clear (Again): 05/03/2013
Diagnosed Yet Again 10/15/2014 - RCC
Working It
Mass General Hospital, Boston, MA.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne