Okay, get me ready for BCG

13 years 6 months ago #34857 by Moonerj
Replied by Moonerj on topic Okay, get me ready for BCG
My BCG preparation.
Very little to drink 4 hours prior to treatment. My treatments were usually around noon on Fridays. Wore track pants and lose top to hospital. Emptied my bladder just prior to treatment.
Treatment.
Insure the nurse instills gel 1st so the catheter does bother when being entered. The treatment itself lasts less than a minute.
I drove home about 1/2 hour. Did the 1 hour rollovers for 1 hour.
At 2 hours I voided out the BCG. Drank 1 bottle of water for the next 6 hours. Had the meds that turn your urine orange to help with the burning. Insure you put a cup of bleach in toilet after each void for 6 hours. Try to keep that bathroom just for you during this time. The next day I also drank 6 bottles of water.
Warm baths usually helped with the spasms and aches.
I wish you all the best,
BCG = Bladder Cancer Gone
Jack

TA Grade 1
3 Turbts
30 BCG Treatments
Cancer Free since Nov 2007

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 6 months ago #34845 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Okay, get me ready for BCG
Hi Katherine.....here's the latest on BCG and aspirin...interesting
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19007364
Best paper i've seen on BCG
www.rxlist.com/theracys-drug.htm
this covers from A to Z and you may have more info than your doc.
The martini's could possibly have the same effect as the BCG i'm thinking but its probably not a good idea as they'd have to treat you for alchohol poisioning first...maybe intravesically?
nah......i do like the idea of the flannel pj's though...at least something that doesn't put pressure on your bladder so that the stuff wants to get out of there before your 2 hr rock and roll!
Oh and do make sure the nurse mixes the BCG with the correct amount of saline. Actually saw one patient in Canada where the nurse did not mix with anything....OUCH. So just be on your toes and know everything about the procedure yourself and what to expect afterwards.
Everyones experience is a bit different.

pat

13 years 6 months ago #34844 by Kimberly
Okay, get me ready for BCG was created by Kimberly
Hi everyone--

Well, I start BCG on 11/17 and in the next week-and-a-half, I want to hear all the advice you can give me. Specifically:

Were there any meds you took that helped, like pyridium or oxybutinin? Something simple like motrin? Any bigger guns, like vicodin?

Did you specifically avoid any food or beverage (like alcohol) before or after? Would a martini (or ten) the night before be a bad idea?

Did you monitor the volume of liquid intake before or after? (I know dehydration is bad, and I also know that you should show up with a relatively empty bladder.)

Did you wear any specific clothing that was more comfortable? Common sense says that tight blue jeans might be a bad idea, but they might not appreciate if I show up in my flannel pjs.

Any other things that helped you get through it? Old episodes of "Bonanza"? Listening to Django Reinhardt?

Please, share it all with me. I am a little anxious.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne