Not what I wanted to hear

14 years 8 months ago #27554 by lhpdogs
Replied by lhpdogs on topic Not what I wanted to hear
Absolutely I would rather have my biopsy and cauterization in the office instead of an entire day of outpatient surgery. The discomfort is over with quickly; I HATE general anesthesia, I throw up for 36 hours afterwards! I'm still waiting on my biopsy results from just such a scenario last Thursday. Third recurrence in 4 years.... now I get to go through BCG after I heal. Oh joy.

TaG1 12/05
3 recurrences
BCG started 9/09

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 years 8 months ago #27549 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Not what I wanted to hear
No, I would never change uros. Mine is superb. We discussed the whole thing before we did it. IF there is any chance from the biopsies he took yesterday (and it was not a truly bad experience, as my previous post described) he will immediately do a TURB under anesthesia to check on all the factors that need checking. He feels 90% that it is NOT a reacurrence, but wants to be sure. Didn't want to put me under unless we need to. I have every confidence that he is on top of the situation.

My only "middle of the night" concern is that it MIGHT be CIS again. Can't help it. He said that IF it is, the next treatment will be another 6 weeks of BCG and start the clock again. If I don't tolerate more BCG it would be reduced dose + interferon.

Can't help being nervous.

SA

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

14 years 8 months ago #27544 by cljjlk
Replied by cljjlk on topic Not what I wanted to hear
I too have had the biopsy procedure done in my FORMER Uro. The first time he told me that he was going to do it. The second time he was doing it before I was aware of what he was doing. This and several other things (cleanliness of the office, attitude of staff and doctor, etc.) made it easy to make the decision to switch Uro’s . I’m not sure, but I don’t think my new Uro would do a biopsy in his office. I just had a TURBT on Tuesday. Other than the effects of the anesthesia and the normal invasive side effects it went well. Sara Anne, have you thought about changing Uro’s. I have to agree with the group that doing biopsies in the office invites problems we don’t need. Hang in there.

Chuck :blush:

dx - Aug 2005
Five reoccurences (last 12/09 Ta high grade)
BCG Started 10/09 (2 6wk treatment)
BCG Maintenance started 4/10

14 years 8 months ago #27540 by kittylee
Replied by kittylee on topic Not what I wanted to hear
Every once in while, I feel the need to share this part of my husband's story. Reading Steve's post just reminded me of that need to share. My husband was 6 months past finishing a 3 year BCG regimen when he began having visible blood in urine and intense urinary problems. The uro did a cysto and decided his "red patches" were still from the BCG reaction. "Still needs to heal" he said. The problems got worse and a CT was done. "All clear" he said. Problems continued and he did a biopsy. "Looks like a superficial reoccurance" he said. THEN, the pathogy showed muscle invasive so we went looking for a surgeon. Pre-op CT scan showed liver, lung and bone mets. ALL OF THIS OCCURRED WITHIN A 11 WEEK PERIOD. I truly believe that those little "red patches" found in a cysto at week "one" were really a reoccurence and the uro just plain missed it by not doing a biopsy.

I am a caregiver to my wonderful husband, Ron
10/04 Multiple T1G3 - TURBT & 3 yrs BCG -
9/08 Invasive BLC w/distant mets
11/08 - 3/09 Gemzar/Cisplatin chemo regimen
4/09 Radiation to bone mets
6/09 lung and liver met progression - start ITP chemo
10/09 My darling Ron passed away

14 years 8 months ago #27535 by stevegrimes14
Replied by stevegrimes14 on topic Not what I wanted to hear
You guys are all tougher than most of the Marines I served with. I am now filled with dred with my upcoming cysto. He saw some "red patches" in May and we did some more BCG's. Now I go in for the check up next month.

I have not been to our site in some time due to some issues with the Fam, but I am so inspired by you all. God Bless.

14 years 8 months ago #27533 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Not what I wanted to hear
The procedures themselves weren't all that bad....not near as bad as going to the dentist (I am dento-phobic, in spite...or because of...having been married to a dentist!) For the biopsies, I felt more of a tug than pain; the cauterizations were something else. And yes, he did give me a bladder spasm preventer as well as several days of cipro.

He did say that if these are suspect when the pathology comes back, he will do the TURB under anesthesia.

SA

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne