Reaction to BCG

15 years 1 month ago #24476 by orpheus
Replied by orpheus on topic Reaction to BCG
Hi Jack,
I am very interested in the trial you may be entering. Is there any information you can give us about this wash? Good luck to you.
Orpheus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 1 month ago #24449 by Nix
Replied by Nix on topic Reaction to BCG
Hi Jack,
I had BCG every three months for the first year - then I have the maintenance (three washes) every 6 months. It seems it takes me longer to get over the BCG the more I get. Two days of not feeling too well, but then I have the frequency that hangs on for a while.
I will keep you in my thoughts, hopefully all will be clear - if not you certainly have a well thought out plan.
Best of luck - keep us informed.

Nix

Nancy S
Ta CIS
dx Ta 11/06
dx Ta CIS 10/07

15 years 1 month ago #24448 by Moonerj
Replied by Moonerj on topic Reaction to BCG
Hi, Nix

I have emailed Dr. Lamm twice, and in both cases with-in 2 weeks he replied, which I also thought was great. He did not agree with me getting 12 monthly BCG maintenance, instead he recommended 3 treatments every 3 months. When I got a 2nd opinion of my path results from Dr. Jewitt, one of the top Uro's in Canada, he agreed with my Uro regarding the 12 monthly treatments. Dr. Jewitt trained at top one of BLC hospitals Sloan Kettering. My next Cysto is March 26, if cancer does return, I will be joining phrase 111 of a clinical trial, at PMH in Toronto, using a new wash formula manufactured by Bioniche. Dr. Jewitt is the lead Uro regarding this trial in Canada. The results of Phase 1 and 11 of this trial have been very encouraging.
All the best,
Jack

TA Grade 1
3 Turbts
30 BCG Treatments
Cancer Free since Nov 2007

15 years 1 month ago #24444 by Nix
Replied by Nix on topic Reaction to BCG
Sara Anne
I know EXACTLY how you feel. After two maintenance my last BCG was postponed for two weeks. I certainly wasn't looking forward to it, but I wanted it done - for time off before my next maintenance round started:S
2 months out from last BCG, I still have frequency - some days better than others. If everything stays the same I will have maintenance thru 2010. Hopfully, my cytos stay clear - then the BCG is well worth it:lol:

Nix

Nancy S
Ta CIS
dx Ta 11/06
dx Ta CIS 10/07

15 years 1 month ago #24441 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Reaction to BCG
Yes, Dr. Lamm is wonderful about responding directly to us. Don't know where he finds the time.

I was scheduled for my second of three maintainance BCG's today, but my uro cancelled it. I had the first of this series a week ago, and had the usual horrible fatigue along with lots of urinary frequency, urgency, and burning which continuese.. He says this is "BCG-cystitis" and that it is imperative NOT to continue while I am symptomatic. IF I am over this next week, he will continue the treatment at 1/2 dose. I am a bit relieved, since I wasn't looking forward to this, but also a bit bummed since I WANT THIS TO BE OVER.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

15 years 1 month ago #24435 by Nix
Reaction to BCG was created by Nix
After my 21st BCG installment - while driving home in my car - my hands and feet started itching terribly, and I had a rash on my back. I was only able to hold the BCG for 40 min. After voiding the BCG the itching stopped immediately. I called my Uro's office and told them what had happened, asked if it could possibly be the BCG - the nurse said no, that it was the antibiotic me they gave me after the BCG. (never mind that it never bothered me before):S
So I emailed Dr Lamm and bless his heart I received the following email:

Of course, I will take this to my Uro for my next Cysto in April - who is always supportive of any information I take to him - and we will proceed with the next maintenance under the recommended dose of Dr Lamm.

It still amazes me, that Dr Lamm takes time out of his very busy schedule to answer emails. :)

Nix

Nancy S
Ta CIS
dx Ta 11/06
dx Ta CIS 10/07

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne