Side effects from single MMC installation during TURBT?

15 years 10 months ago #18024 by Rosemary
Dear David,

I've had 2 MMC instillations, one with each of my TURB's. I had zero side effects with the Mitomycin. However, I do remember that the first instillation was hard to retain for the full hour and I asked to discontinue before the hour was up.

Best regards,
Rosemary

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 10 months ago #18022 by tate
Hi David,

I had MMC after my 1st surgery and I just remember waking up wanting to use the b-room and had to wait (it was a little uncomfortable but not horrible). Then when I did ( I will be honest) the 1st urinatation was very painful :o but with the help of the meds they gave me for spasms...urinating got easier. From what I know it is worth the treatment and I would do it again if I had to. Since then I have been having the 6 week BCG treatments and they have been easier and not as painful(well, except for this last week- but I only have one more ;D ) ...just in case that is something you may have to do in the future.

I wanted to be honest but please do not pass on the MMC because I think it is a VERY important part of the treatment and like I said I would do it again. there are some that did not have the same discomfort...everybody is different.

Take care and good luck with everything.

-Tate

15 years 10 months ago #18021 by DIB
Hi all:

I'm having my second TUR this Wednesday for a single small T1G3 tumor removed about a month ago at my first TUR.

I'm having a single installation of 40 mg Mitomycin C immediately after the TUR while in the OR.

I've read the following on this WebCafe but am curious about any other info or personal experiences after a single MMC treatment such as I am having:

"Intravesically implanted chemo agents are much easier to tolerate than systemic chemo, as the unique environment of the bladder contains the drug while protecting the body from systemic poisoning. There are some side effects experienced after the instillation, i.e; irritation, burning, pain, cramps, diarrhea, bladder inflammation. As in all cancer treatments, these unpleasant side effects vary widely with the individual."

Thanks,
David

Male Dx T1G3 5/08 @ Age 59. TURBT 5/08; TURBT+40 mg MMC 6/08; BCG (6) 7/08-8/08; Cysto & TURBT 9/08; BCG Maint(3) 10/08, 3/09; 7/09; 11/09; 5/10; & 1/11. Clean cystos 2/09, 9/09, 3/10, & 10/10.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne