Up Grading

16 years 5 months ago #10756 by dmartin12358
Replied by dmartin12358 on topic Up Grading

Hi Jack,
The following quote (paraphrased) gives a pretty good idea of recurrence rates and upstaging; is taken from the article "Treatment of high-risk non-muscle invasive bladder cancer" (2006). If interested in reading, let me know.

"The probability of progression to muscle-invasive cancer within 5 years of diagnosis... for Ta or T1 (grade 3) or CIS is 25% to 50%; the risk of progression for low-risk patients is 5% to 15%."

Hope this info helps.

Dan

Dx 7/04, CIS + T1G3, Age 50
2 TURBTs
12 BCGs
Cystectomy 8/05 USC/Norris
So far, so good (kow)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 5 months ago #10747 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic Up Grading
Jack,

I was also dx'd January 2006. I've had clean cystos and clean cytologies since then. I've had a total of 12 BCG treatments and 2 Mitomycin along with my 2 TURB's.

As far as uninary frequency is concerned, I go a lot. I mean a lot.

It's just really hard to say if I go MORE since dx because I think I've always gone a lot.

Welcome to the group,
Rosemary

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

16 years 5 months ago #10745 by timb
Replied by timb on topic Up Grading
I had a G2 recurrence after a G3

16 years 5 months ago #10744 by laubsman
Replied by laubsman on topic Up Grading
Ross;

Thank you very much. Mine was Ta-Grade 3 and I am of the understanding that the reoccurrances and propensity for upgrading are substantial for high grade tumors. I am not due for a cysto until January. My last was in August and the doctor said that my bladder was pristine. I had BCG maintenance in October and since then I have had an increase in urinary frequency. I wonder if this is usual. Again, thank you for taking the time to address my concerns.

Jack

16 years 5 months ago #10740 by michstate89
Replied by michstate89 on topic Up Grading
I don't know about all situations, but mine recurred same stage and grade Maybe some seeding from the first and second turbts - no mitomycin until after the third turbt. I went from 1 to 4 to 11 tumors - all TaG1. From what I have read only about 5-10% progress from superficial to more invasive, but there is so much that qualifies as superficial that I would not want to even venture a guess for every situation.

Good to hear that you have not had any recurrences.

Ross

Ross M
TaG1 March 06
Recurrence Jan 07
BCG Maintenance after 6 week treatment

16 years 5 months ago #10720 by laubsman
Up Grading was created by laubsman
My name is Jack and I was DX with Ta-Grade 3 TCC on January 26, 2006. I have had the initial 6 weeks of BCG and maintenance BCG every three and six months. I had one large 5 CM tumor that was completely resected. To date I have had no recurrences. Additionally, I had my prostate ablated due to BPH. I still have urinary frequency that causes me to suspect the return of the cancer. My urologist has changed my cystos from three to six months with BCG in between examinations.

My first Uro did not provide me with any information. All that I learned was found on this site and from speaking to wonderful staff members. Here are my questions.

1. Do reoccurrances most generally come back in the initial stage and grade. Mine was Ta-Grade 3. There was no muscle involvement at all. There was a second resection that confirmed that the muscle was pristine. There was no CIS.

2. Can reoccurrances be of a lesser grade or do the high grade cancers most often up stage.

Any help that you could provide will be appreciated. Jack

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne