depression

16 years 6 months ago #9546 by Stephany
Replied by Stephany on topic depression
Also, Aimeth....there might be someone at the cancer center where he is getting his treatment. There was a group at our hospital that was "Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy for the prevention of depression relapse" What this meant was a group that meets to deal with the depression.

My husband has his pretty much under control with meds, but it was of some help to him. His doc increased his meds when he heard of the diagnosis, and it also helped.

I hope you can get him to at least talk to someone, because there is hope and help there.

Stephany in Iowa

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 6 months ago #9476 by wendy
Replied by wendy on topic depression
Hi Aimeth,

Depression is not only a side effect of chemo, it's a side effect of cancer.

Is your husband open to the idea of an antidepressant? If so, the sooner the better as it can take a few weeks before they help, if they are going to help. It's not a one-size fits all kind of thing, antidepressants, and sometimes folks get side effects, and when a person is taking many different treatments it's hard to pin down what drug is causing what symptom.

I have been there and done that. Had a rough time, too. But glad I started on Prozac about 2 months before my diagnosis (breast cancer, '99). I know it helped me through things I never imagined I could bear, and don't think I remember side effects being a problem. Then I switched to a newer drug, Effexor, and that one caused me huge problems both during and after using it. Worst of it was constipation and nightmares.

There's no easy fix. But it could be worth a shot. If possible, ask a psychiatrist to get on board, not just because they're medical doctors and know about interactions and things, but also because it wouldn't be a bad thing to have a therapy session or two along with starting an antidepressant.

If your husband doesn't want to go that route there is not much you can do aside from be there and love him. There is no wrong or right in this. It's a process he's going through and hopefully it will pass on its own, or come and go in phases. Depression and cancer is a huge problem that increases the difficulty of the situation for everyone concerned.

My heart goes out to you both. Good luck and I hope things get better.
Wendy

16 years 6 months ago #9474 by aimeth
depression was created by aimeth
My husband is about to finish his first cycle of MVAC next week after doing 4 of cisplatin/gemzar. He is very depressed lately apart from feeling very sick all the time. Is this a side effect of the chemo? I can understand being depressed do to the fact of having a disease but he appears very, very depressed more than the usual to me. Any comments would be appreciated. I don't know what else to do for him my heart breaks to see him like this. Thank you, Aimeth

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne