Starting chemo tomorrow

12 years 9 months ago #38342 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic Starting chemo tomorrow
Stage 4 means the cancer has spread outside the bladder. It's the metastasis part that can involve other organs (lungs, bones, brain, etc.).

The reason there are not tons of replies when talking about that stage is that most of us here never got to that stage (and we're all hoping we never do). That's really the main reason. As for myself, I don't know a whole lot about the details when things get to that stage because I haven't studied it. Now, if I wind up having a recurrence and metastatic disease, you can bet I will be studying the hell out of it.

Mets is bad news. Mets is always bad news. Is mets always the end? No. Chemo can and does help and some people are cured but the numbers/statistics aren't great for long term survival. But even if the probably of 10 year survival was 10%, if you are one of the people in the 10% group, you are 100% alive. So, from a probability standpoint things don't look great but that doesn't mean there is any certainty either way. I just made up the 90/10 number for the purpose of an example. I don't know what the statistics are because they probably don't really matter. It's either it works (the chemo) or it doesn't.

Hoping for the best for your husband and for you!
Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 9 months ago #38337 by Dana
Replied by Dana on topic Starting chemo tomorrow
The side effects don't really worry me and my husband very much, this is more of a battle we are trying to win.
What I have noticed on the forum is that when things are really bad in terms of prognosis, I don't get many replies.
I realise it's probably a way of trying to not disappoint me, but there must be stories of people who have beaten cancer at this stage on the forum.I know the odds are againtst us but I just can't believe that it is all for nothing.
The doctor said one thing, that he doesn't agree with stage 4 as the cancer hasn't gone to other vital organs. Is he just getting my hopes up?

12 years 9 months ago #38336 by motomike
Replied by motomike on topic Starting chemo tomorrow
My understanding of chemo is that it can be custom made (within limits) for each patient and is often adjusted a bit with each treatment. This was so in my case. I had only slight side affects. One day after chemo I drove past a bakery and the yeast aroma was almost overpowering. I had placed a towel in the car in case I needed it but did not. I believe much of the anxiety with chemo is fear of the unknown. Yes, drip but also a small needle. It is not painful.

I'm 70, retired heat/air contractor. After 4 months of keymo ileal conduit (IC) surgery removed bladder & prostate May 2010

12 years 9 months ago #38333 by Dana
Starting chemo tomorrow was created by Dana
I just got back from the oncologist yesterday and tomorrow my husband starts chemo.
I came on the forum about 3 months ago and started writing in the newly diagnosed, from there I went to various discussions, non-invasive cancer, invasive, neo-bladder and now am in the metastic bladder cancer.
I can't believe that in less than 3 months so much has happened.
His biopsy showed stage 4 Tis N2 and Mx.
The doctor said it was quite rare for Tis cancer to spread so fast but it was aggressive, (Grade 3). His CS showed no Metastis to vital organs only 1cm tumors or cells (didn't understand that part) in nymph nodes around his pelvis.
All I can do know is hope, it is in Gods hands.
I don't know if the internet is so great at the moment as all the info I have read is preparing me for the worst.
Is there anyone here that has survived this type of cancer? The chemo will be done in hospital, not an injection, a drip I think it is called. How will he feel, are the side effects really bad?

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne