Update & Decision Time for Chemo

14 years 8 months ago #27270 by kittylee
Replied by kittylee on topic Update & Decision Time for Chemo
Hi, Doug,
I've read a little of your history. I'm sorry to hear of the unexpected metastases (sp?). My husband was actually doing his presurgery (RC) scans when they discovered his cancer had spread to liver and bones (hip and spine). He took 7 out of 8 cycles of GC. His side effects were manageable and few. He had no nausea (Zofran was taken prior to each, very important, we think). He didn't lose his hair, although it did thin just a bit. Fatigue came and went, but was often attributed to low red blood count. He received 3 blood transfusions during that time. The regimen was D/C when platelets dropped to a dangerous 13K. Overall, he describes that regimen "a breeze" compared to the ITP he's on now. Oh, and he went for 2 days after each treatment for fluid therapy, religously, which was optional. He thinks that was hugely beneficial. The best part is, that his liver lesions were reduced, lung tumors were undectable and some bone tumor improvement. So....for him... it was definitely worth it since it brought him good life quality until the disease progressed. I wish you the best in whatever treatment you go with.

p.s. He continues to get Zometa every 6 wks with some bone pain but it is just for a day.

I am a caregiver to my wonderful husband, Ron
10/04 Multiple T1G3 - TURBT & 3 yrs BCG -
9/08 Invasive BLC w/distant mets
11/08 - 3/09 Gemzar/Cisplatin chemo regimen
4/09 Radiation to bone mets
6/09 lung and liver met progression - start ITP chemo
10/09 My darling Ron passed away

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 years 8 months ago #27269 by Blnmakerr
Update & Decision Time for Chemo was created by Blnmakerr
Went back to The Cleveland Clinic on Monday and had a bone scan done to determine if the cancer was still just in my spine. It has now spread to just about every bone in my body (amrs, legs, ribs, sternum, skull) and Dr. Jorge Garcia is advising me to start chemo with Gemzar and Cisplatin along with Zomata...

Anyone have experience with Gemzar and Cisplatin and just how bad were the side effects? How quickly can you recover from the chemo?

I don't want my quality of life to suffer and I am afraid chemo will "knock me for a loop"...

I asked Dr. Garcia if I could substitute Carboplatin for Cisplatin and he said Carbo would NOT be as effective in attacking the cancer.

Still looking at alternative treatments in both US and Mexico....

Thanks for any input,

Doug
Blnmmakerr

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne