Feeling sad tonight....

15 years 3 months ago #23711 by Mona
Replied by Mona on topic Feeling sad tonight....
Hi Mel, Stephany has a good suggestion about the movies - I got loads for my husband through his chemo - he watched the entire James Bond collection, the entire 7 years of Tour de France with Lance Armstrong, band of Brothers and lots and lots of comedies. We did make sure we watched something funny every day! Maybe it would help your Dad, especially if there's a topic he's very keen on. I wonder if you can get some different meds for his sickness too, especially if that will help to get him out. It's very hard to watch your parents struggling - you're such a caring daughter, it's ok to allow yourself to feel down sometimes. I hope you're also enjoying your new married life,
All the best,
Mona

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 3 months ago - 15 years 3 months ago #23709 by Stephany
Replied by Stephany on topic Feeling sad tonight....
That sucks. It's no way to spend your time, and it's no way for your family to have to see you. I can see why he would want to stay home. Does he watch TV? Maybe a netflix subscription would be in order. I found that sometimes helped with Doran. You can select from thousands of tv shows and movies, and some of the documentaries give you lots to discuss with people....sort of introduce new subjects and new worlds into the four walls.

C-c-c-old here.

Stephany in Iowa

15 years 3 months ago #23706 by Mel09
Replied by Mel09 on topic Feeling sad tonight....
Hi Stephany,

He was able to have one tube removed but the other remains. It is draining ok. He is on meds for depression. He is very weak from the chemo and naps during the day. He also tends to get sick often so it is hard to go anywhere. Also, since the cancer is in his bones, he is unable to walk a lot because the leg gets stiff.

As far as losing the hair, my sister said he has not really said anything about it yet. At this point, it is just thinning out. Knowing him though, he will not be too happy about it and will see it as another terrible aspect of what is happening. He is having a hard time staying positive.

xoxo
Melissa

15 years 3 months ago #23702 by Stephany
Replied by Stephany on topic Feeling sad tonight....
Thanks for coming in to rant, Melissa! That's what we're here for. It IS hard to handle the new side effects. And how is he feeling about that? Is he able to make jokes about baldness, or is he feeling the loss, too?

And how is his nephrostomy feeling? Is it still draining well? And is he on any meds for the anxiety/depression he must be feeling?

I know, I ask too many questions....OK, one more. What is the main reason for his being homebound....the nephrostomy? Or weakness from the chemo?

Sorry, that was two questions. I just wish I could help more. Keep us informed.

And how are the newly-weds?

Stephany in Iowa

15 years 3 months ago #23698 by Mel09
Feeling sad tonight.... was created by Mel09
I know this may sound insignificant in the whole scheme of things, but for some reason, it hit me hard. My sister called to tell me that my father has started to lose his hair. He has been on Cisplatin and Gemzar previously and this had not happened. He is now doing rounds of Taxol and apparently the effects are different. I know it is just hair but for some reason it just all seems so real now....like WOW this is CANCER and it isn't going away. I guess I am feeling sorry for myself and I am also wondering what emotional toll this will take on my father. He is basically homebound and that is depressing enough. He also still has one nephrostomy tube to contend with. It never ceases to amaze me how different each day can be. No one on earth deserves this terrible disease and I pray every single night that my family, and all of yours are able to make it through and come out even stronger!

sorry for the rant :(

Melissa

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne