And another night in the ER

15 years 7 months ago #21409 by Julie
Replied by Julie on topic And another night in the ER
No wonder Doran was passing out. That's a low hemoglobin. They will give Dick 2 units when his get down close to 8. His shots right now are keeping his hemoglobin around 9.4 but his platelets are low.
The low hemoglobin will increase the feeling of fatigue.
I don't know about the BUN numbers but they are always concerned when Dick's creatinine gets high. I have found it is a good idea to get a copy of the lab report. I have had people go over them with me so I can also follow the numbers. It used to be hemoglobin and hematocrit and now I have added the white count, the platelets, the creatinine, and now the albumin level.
I hope they can get Doran's hemoglobin up to at least 10 then he should feel a lot better. Julie

Volunteer Coordinator
ABLSC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 7 months ago #21404 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic And another night in the ER
Wow...thats a really low hemoglobin....why wasn't it caught before? I'm surprized they didn't give him several units of blood?.......I remember my fathers hemoglobin going down in his later years but they tested and tested and never found a cause other than age and the bone marrow not producing what it used to. He had to have regular transfusions every 3 months which got harder and harder to cross-match.
Well i'm glad he wants a great shirt and a chocolate shake...thats definate improvement.
Hang in there Stephanie.....we're thinking of you both........Pat

15 years 7 months ago #21392 by Stephany
Replied by Stephany on topic And another night in the ER
Thanks, Lorrie. I had no idea, and you telling me that makes me feel much better. I learn more from this forum than from the doctors.

He just called me....wanted a "good looking shirt" some jeans, and a chocolate shake.

Stephany in Iowa

15 years 7 months ago #21390 by bobmac2
Replied by bobmac2 on topic And another night in the ER
Oh Stephany I am so sorry. It's a real roller coaster ride isn't it? I'm glad he is the hospital closest to home. Keep your chin up kiddo- we are all thinking of you. Fondly- Lorrie

15 years 7 months ago - 15 years 7 months ago #21389 by momof4
Replied by momof4 on topic And another night in the ER
(((Stephany)))

CANCER SUCKS!!!

I am so sorry that you and your family are going through this...I would wait a few days after the transfusion for another test to see how his kidneys are doing...Angelo's numbers are always off when he needs a transfusion. Might not be a bad idea to get him on homecare. They can draw blood at home and monitor it weekly...

Your in my thoughts,
Karen

Caregiver for my Wonderful Husband Angelo, who has Metastatic Bladder Cancer.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

15 years 7 months ago #21388 by Stephany
Replied by Stephany on topic And another night in the ER
Sorry, I mean the BUN and creatinine were low, I think.

Too tired to think, but I did an on-line search, and I think that was what they were trying to tell me.

Stephany in Iowa

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne