Still fighting

15 years 7 months ago #20898 by Julie
Still fighting was created by Julie
I have had a busy 10 days what with granddaughter visits and the regular Dr. appointments. Just before the girls arrived Dick's oncologist suggested that we meet with Hospice. He said that Dick's weight loss and lack of appetite were due to the cancer. So we met with the Intake worker for the Hospice the Dr. recommended for information. We decided after hearing what they could do and what they would not do that we were not ready for Hospice. We wanted better Pain management yes but not to the exclusion of other treatments. Plus Dick is not housebound.
I also think that Dick's loss of appetite was to due to Major Depression. The addition of Lexapro, an antidepressant, had improved his appetite and mood. He also got a prescription of Zofran for his appetite which has also helped. It is now no trouble to make sure he gets at least 80 grams of protein a day.

Also Hospice said that if Dick were in Hospice he could only get a manual wheel chair. Dick wanted something he could operate himself. His pulmonologist prescribed a power chair and he is getting one next week. Now I have to make arrangements for access to the house and our minivan. The chair will be 24 inches wide so should fit through the doors here in our home as it definitely is not handicap accessible.

We saw his primary care Physician Thursday and upped his Lexapro to 20 mg a day. His lympedema is still limiting his ability to bend his knees and I asked about massage. She then referred him to the special lymphedema clinic which I hope will be able to treat the severe swelling in his legs. The swelling has gone down in his hands and arms. She wrote a prescription for a ramp but it is not covered by Medicare. She referred him to Home Care to treat his legs to prevent leg wounds. He has an area on his shin that looks cracked. She also referred him to a pain Doctor that operates out of the same location she is at which is miles closer to home. He has an appointment Friday. I am so thankful. The previous place phoned on Friday to cancel his appointment in October and wants him to reschedule. I will phone them after Dick sees the new Doctor and give them feedback about why I'm firing them.

Dick says he still wants to be able to take pictures and do his wood carving. So we are doing what we can to enable him to do what gives him pleasure. I'm sure I'm leaving something out but that is all I can think of now.

The visit from the granddaughters got Dick out and doing some activities. We did a day trip to the highest mountain here, Mt Lemmon, last Sunday. We took along extra oxygen tanks so he could turn up the amount. We had a nice picnic surrounded by Ponderosa Pines and overlooking the San Pedro River Valley. It was a beautiful drive and Dick took lots of pictures. We did an evening tour of the Botanical Gardens and had dinner outside and then saw ball room dancers performing. We also visited the Sonoran Desert Museum for astronomy night and a presentation of Birds of Prey.

Our son had prepared the girls for how frail Dick is and explained that he is dying and that they should enjoy the time with him. The 11 year old didn't say anything but the 9 year old talked about it several times. She was very sweet with Dick. She would help him with his oxygen line and tank and walk slowly with him when we were on outings. I'm so glad Dick was able to participate in some of the activities. The girls left this morning to fly back to Seattle. Now if only I can get him to stay as active as he was these past 10 days. Julie

Volunteer Coordinator
ABLSC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne