Doran\'s back in the hospital

15 years 8 months ago #20790 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Doran\'s back in the hospital
............DOH..........comes to mind. I have nothing else.
Pat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 8 months ago #20788 by Stephany
Doran\'s back in the hospital was created by Stephany
I've started this message three or four times, and keep erasing my start. This just is so depressing!

Anyway, Doran's fever and lethargy got worse over the weekend, and he didn't eat, and he got worse. Monday he got a CBC, and his numbers were great....better than in Jan and Feb, according to his PA. But Monday night he got worse, and by Tuesday morning, I had problems getting him to respond. Tuesday afternoon, I took him to the ER at the suggestion of the Fellow at UIHC. At the local ER, they gave him fluids and finally got a urine sample, and diagnosed an infection.

By the time they were ready to transfer him, he was responding, and looking better.

So they transferred him to Iowa City, in an ambulance, with me trailing behind after boarding the dogs, and packing a bag.

In Iowa City we got really lucky. They have a new ER, and he was only there for about an hour and a half, and they actually got him in the ward bed just a few minutes before midnight! And a private room! There are miracles.

Anyway, today is his 61st birthday. He is not feeling a lot better, and still fighting the infection. And NOBODY THOUGHT TO CHECK HIS POUCH WHILE THEY WERE HYDRATING HIM!!!!!!!

When I got to his room around 11:00 am, the resident came in, and while we were talking, I noticed that there was urine pooling in his navel. (Doran's navel, not the resident's. I'm betting the nurse would have noticed that!)

I grabbed a catheter, and asked for a bottle.

When the residents came back for rounds, I was reaching for the ice chip cup, becauce he had filled a 1,000ml jar, and was still going. I told them to "GET ME ANOTHER JAR". They scrambled like ants, because they don't know where the nurses put them.

By the time he finished, they all just stood there, looking at 16000 ml of urine.

So, the urology resident came in later and ordered a Foley.

Can you imagine. Nobody was watching his output? And there was no IO sheet on the wall, even.

So, it just goes to show.....you gotta be there.

So where am I? Not there.

I came home to take care of getting rid of our old bed, because the new one is delivered tomorrow.

So, I'm washing bedding, and now I'm going to sit down, put up my feet, and pig out on popcorn and wine, in my pj's.

Thanks for letting me rant! I'll check in later.

Stephany in Iowa

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne