What is the right thing to say?

15 years 9 months ago #19868 by mznoregrets
Replied by mznoregrets on topic What is the right thing to say?
Hi George,

Oh, I can so relate! I use caring bridge....it is a free and easy to use website. You chose what you want to share and well wishers have a guest book to write in. It helped me tons! WHen I started using it, I simply said that I am tired of repeating to everyone the status of my health several times a day. It works well for me, God Bless, Holly

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 9 months ago #19867 by Cynthia
Replied by Cynthia on topic What is the right thing to say?
If you like the idea of dealing with well wishers using your own website here is a link to a site that is set up for just that. You post what you want them to know and they can leave messeges for you if they like on the site.

bladdercancersupport.org/index.php?option=com_weblinks&catid=48&Itemid=103

Tell people what you wish them to know. When I got my dx what I told the general public and my co workers and what I told people close to me were two different things. How public we wish to be with our cancer journey is a personal choice.

Cynthia Kinsella
T2 g3 CIS 8/04
Clinical Trial
Chemotherapy & Radiation 10/04-12/04
Chemotherapy 3/05-5/05
BCG 9/05-1-06
RC w/umbilical Indiana pouch 5/06
Left Nephrectomy 1/09
President American Bladder Cancer Society

15 years 9 months ago #19866 by Stephany
Replied by Stephany on topic What is the right thing to say?
You have my sympathy, George.....living in a "fishbowl" is no easy thing. Have you ever thought of the internet solution? There are some websites that will let you post whatever you want posted, and you and your wife can refer all those well-wishers to that site. Then you can say things like "we'd like a little private time to digest this" or "please feel free to send a card, instead of not finding us at home" or the like. This has been our sanity saver. Everyone can access it, even family across the US, and one BIG positive is that we can squash rumors as soon as they pop up, to those who really care.

Stephany in Iowa

15 years 9 months ago #19864 by momof4
Replied by momof4 on topic What is the right thing to say?
GEO,

THIS IS JUST MY OPINION

You have barely had time to digest this information yourself...I guess from your post that alot of people knew you were having the surgery? That make it a little more challenging but maybe if you just deal with the surgery aspect for now.

If the surgery went well, and you are healing the way you should, talk about that. Forget about explaining the path report until your ready...they are separate issues....

You aren't even sure what your next step is...It will be hard to explain to others...

Keep it close to home, and with you friends that are confidants...until you are ready...

Remember this is about you, you can be selfish right now...you have every right.

Karen

Caregiver for my Wonderful Husband Angelo, who has Metastatic Bladder Cancer.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

15 years 9 months ago #19861 by GEO
What is the right thing to say? was created by GEO
Everyone has been asking me how I am doing. All I've been telling people is I'm doing great. People have come right out and asked about the results of the pathology report. I keep telling them everything is fine. I even went to the point of driving to work 3 days out of the hospital so people could see how well I'm doing after surgery. I supervise approx. 60 people and work with 180. I also work with the public and they are calling and showing up at the front door. I have my wife tell everyone I am resting at the time just so I don't have to talk to them. How have others handled this situation?
I just don't want all the boo-whoing.

Thanks,
George

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne