We received the report on Bob's last PET scan today.....

15 years 11 months ago #17429 by Julie
Clara, Sending support and caring. We have not gotten to this point so I have no knowledge about your choices. I have been trying read as many free research papers as I can. When doing studies I notice that success is sometimes measured in weeks.
How is Bob's pain level. Julie

Volunteer Coordinator
ABLSC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 11 months ago #17427 by Clara
Tate,
Thanks for the prayers and concern.

Have you ever heard of a Dr. Samuel Shortz..he is with Urology Associates ( I think that is the name of the group). All that I can find is that he was in Pinehurst, NC.

Thought you might know something since I think you work in the medical field.

Clara

Caretaker of husband, Bob.
Stage IV
Diagnosed Jan, 2007

15 years 11 months ago #17426 by Clara
Karen,

Bob had chemo a year ago and did not have good results but also he was having the Neulasta shot afterwards.

The doctor thinks this medicine should be easier on him than the one administered then. He said it might prevent some other problems later. We did not go into detail about that.

During the next couple of weeks I am sure that I will come up with questions and we will do a list of pros and cons.

How is Angelo doing?

Love and prayers,
Clara

Stage IV
Diagnosed Jan, 2007

15 years 11 months ago #17419 by tate
Clara,

I am sorry that the news was not what we had all hoped...I don't have any answers to your questions but wanted to send you love and prayers from your NC neighbor. You have been such a support to me. I hope if there is anything I can do (along with praying) you will let me know.

I agree and hope you and Bob have a great time at the beach.

I am sending you both a great big hug and of course major prayers!!
-Tate

15 years 11 months ago #17418 by momof4
Clara,

Thank you for sharing what is going on with Bob...I am so sorry that the cancer seems to have spread...Has Bob ever tried Chemo? I think I remember that he had a bad reaction last time??

Are they giving you any other options?

The Dr. has one thing right...you should definately go and enjoy the beach....I wish we could go too!!!

Clara, if you need to talk please don't hesitate to call me..

With Love,
Karen

Caregiver for my Wonderful Husband Angelo, who has Metastatic Bladder Cancer.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

15 years 11 months ago #17417 by Clara
the worse news we have received lately. The scan showed that the cancer is more progressive now....

There is increased activity in the following:
Upper thoracic spine lesions
Right midthoracic pedicle and proximal right rib
Sternal activity
New and increased areas of left lower anterior rib activity are seen.
Spleen lesion has increased in size
Retroperitoneal adenopathy has increased.
Right iliac activity is increased.

I will stop there. A few other things are noted that I need to look up.

Impression: Interval progression of malignancy.

Bob now has to make a decision whether to take a cycle of chemo (gemzar and carboplatin). Both for the first treatment and only Gemzar on Day 15. After this there would probably be a scan to see if it was doing any good or not and then the decision would be made whether to offer more treatments or not.

Also, we will be seeing a new urologist on Monday to see what can be done about the incontinence...he is on flomax but is up every 15-30 min. at night.
During the day, it gets better and if he sits down, he falls asleep. He tries to keep busy though and does as much as he feels like doing.

I know that many of you have been through this same thing and probably will have some input on this subject.

At the time of the dr. visit, I was writing my notes and did not even think of questions that needed to be asked such as "how much time would we be buying?".
The pros and cons will have to be weighed. We have had some good quality time and I just want Bob to be comfortable with the whole situation.
We told the Dr. that we have a beach trip planned in a couple of weeks and he said to go and enjoy.

Love and prayers,
Clara

Stage IV
Diagnosed Jan, 2007

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne