Adjuvant Chemotherapy

16 years 4 months ago #11655 by fearandfight
Replied by fearandfight on topic Adjuvant Chemotherapy

Wow Leigh and this guy calls himself an oncologist I don't know how he sleeps at night. His mission as a Dr. is to heal not to make a derogatory statement like that. Now you know it is time to get a second opinion. Find a good Urologist/Oncologist that is good and go get that chemo you are far from a loss cause. This is why people get adjuvant chemo to try and get rid of the cancer that the RC did not. Don't let some foolish Dr. bring you down when there are many out there that can help and cure you. Good Luck, Joe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 4 months ago #11654 by Leigh
Replied by Leigh on topic Adjuvant Chemotherapy
Hello Holly,

Time is not really on my side now for follow up chemo, my urologist whom performed the RC said as long as it was started within 3 months of the operation. I had my surgery on the 14th of September and tomorrow will be the 3 month period.

My RC was performed with a full open incision and recovery time is longer than with the robot arm I think. I certainly would not have been strong enough to have chemo at 6 weeks post op.

Strange that my Urologist recommended chemo and my oncologist does not!!

It would make perfect sense to me though to get hooked up to chemo as soon as possible after surgery.

Kind Regards
Leigh

Leigh, 39
Dx July 2007
TURBT July 2007
RC/Neobladder ,Studer Pouch, September 2007
Erasmus Centrum Rotterdam
TNM Classification: pT4 N2 Mo
4 cycles aduvant chemo Gemzar & Cisplatinum

16 years 4 months ago #11653 by mznoregrets
Replied by mznoregrets on topic Adjuvant Chemotherapy
Hi Leigh,

I think the cisplatin/gemzar chemo is becoming standard for many stage 2 and 3 bladder cancer to stop micromets here. Sometimes there is carboplatin instead of cisplatin as it is less harsh to kidneys or other organs. I think Zach, Patricia and Wendy can answer that better than I though.
Personally I am glad I did it , and it sure is not a "handed out like candy" thing...shame on that Dr. If he were in your shoes ( or mine) I bet he would be looking to survive the cancer too. Keep focussed on getting to the right treatment path - you're doing good :) My treatment path was not easy to navigate, but it sure feels better to know I have done all I can and had the best of Drs with me.
God Bless, Holly
PS I was also told it is best to start the chemo by the 6th week after RC. Just thought you might like to know that.

16 years 4 months ago #11652 by Leigh

Hello Maria,

It was really great news about the scan and I should hang on to those thoughts.

I am so happy we have a forum like this to help and support each other as I find it difficult to talk with my loved ones. I guess I just don't want to burden them too much. The difference here on this forum is that we all understand each other because of the dx.

I would like to thank you for your kindness is sending your message.

Take good care of yourself.

Leigh

Leigh, 39
Dx July 2007
TURBT July 2007

16 years 4 months ago #11651 by Leigh

Hello Zach,

Your fine words of support gave me a lift I needed and I appreciate that very much.

The Oncology department will have a meeting about my case along with other patients cases next Tuesday and I believe other professionals will be involved from other hospitals. I guess it will be a kind of automatic second opinion as to the path to follow for the next steps.

I have spoken with my regular doctor regarding the reluctance to offer follow up chemo and she was amazed they would not offer it as standard. My doctor is a lovely Belgian lady and gave me oncology contacts to follow up in Belgium. Belgium do offer excellent cancer care and also adjuvant chemotheraphy.

If I am now at a stage of squabbaling with my oncologist I think it would be a wise move to find another one whom is more sympathetic to my concerns. I can still hear the words in my head my oncologist said to me the other day "we don't hand chemotheraphy out like candy you know"

Zach, thank you kind sir.

Leigh

Leigh, 39
Dx July 2007
TURBT July 2007

16 years 4 months ago #11650 by Leigh

Hello Holly,

Thank you for your kind words of support.

I was really shocked the other day when I found out I had 14 positive nodes and it hit me pretty hard.

Glad to hear that your treatment and RC at Mayo's in Minnesota went well. You had a combination of two chemo's for any micro mets. Is this the standard regime in your area for adjuvant chemo?

Thank you for keeping me in your prayers.

Kind Regards
Leigh

Leigh, 39
Dx July 2007
TURBT July 2007

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne