1st week of chemo

16 years 11 months ago #5399 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic 1st week of chemo
Hang in there, Holly. Things will get better.

Your friend,
Rosemary

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 11 months ago #5397 by mznoregrets
Replied by mznoregrets on topic 1st week of chemo
Hi All,

I had to reschedule my scans as I got c diff for the 3rd time :( Atleast we caught it way earlier than before...I am on vancomycin and bentyl. Just tired as heck so I prolly won't be online much this weekend.

Rosemary, I hope you feel better soon. My prayers are for a very feel better for you :) Take care all,  Holly

16 years 11 months ago #5375 by mznoregrets
Well, yesterday my platelets and white cells were too low for chemo...I got a shot of nupygen and went home. Also my port "clogged" - they had to get a dose of something and let it set for 3o mins to dissolve before they got a blood return. So I went back today and counts were better so I got the gemzar. Which means my 1st month of chemo is.......Done! Although I wanted to do the happy dance - we went to Dairy Queen instead :) Next Monday is my week off of chemo - but they want me in there for labs - prolly shots and or blood too.

I just want to say thanks for helping me get this far - the advice has been invaluable . and the comraderie makes things bearable. Even the cancer has been teaching me how to live/love stronger. But the side effects....some hurt, some I can laugh at but they all make me feel weird!! My cat too - she eyes my wig with bad intent!!

Love you and praying for us all, Holly

16 years 11 months ago #5360 by Mike
Replied by Mike on topic 1st week of chemo
Gl Holly that chemo at the Univ of Penn is what they call the gold zeal. But day 15 I had an allergic reaction to the Gemzar so they swithched me to the High Intensity MVAC chemo and that did the job thank God. I know one thing that Gemzar burned going in so they would cut it back some. I was never allergic to any drug and dang I never thought it be a chemo drug lol. What I got was a rash on my both my arms and legs so I am glad there was Plan B. You should be just fine and I wish you the best I guess that reaction was just me. The only good thing was since it was week 3 they counted that as a round for me followed by 2 more months of the MVAC. Good Luck Dear, Joe

16 years 11 months ago #5356 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic 1st week of chemo
Holly,

That is interesting. What reason did the employer give for terminating insurance? Are you still employed? I'm just so glad that you have the back-up under your husband's plan. What a drag!!

Your friend,
Rosemary

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

16 years 11 months ago #5355 by mznoregrets
Hi there,

Thanks for the support and suggestions. I agree that cisplatin is nasty stuff and that one isn't every time. Today, Monday is my chemo day....week 1 is Cisplatin & Gemzar, week 2 & 3 is Gemzar only, week 4 is off :) I don't consider myself vain either, but I did get a wig last Thursday as my hair is coming out. They have been trying different meds for the nausea and I have lost a few pounds anyhoo. I just keep moving on...lol

On Saturday I got notice that my employer cancelled my health insurance coverage affective 4/28/07. I still am covered by my hubbys insurance so my treatment won't be effected, but what if I didn't? I thought it was illegal to do that. Any experience here to advise me?

Take care all - Love, Holly

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne